DisplayLink flickering during high I/O loads on a server-to-workstation setup?

Hey everyone, I’ve been hitting a bit of a wall with a weird edge-case issue in my home office setup, and I’m hoping someone here has dealt with something similar. I’m currently using a Plugable triple-display dock to manage my workspace through a single cable to my primary workstation. For the most part, it’s been a dream for keeping my desk clean—I’m a bit of a minimalist, and getting rid of the “octopus” of cables under my feet was a huge win for my sanity.

The problem started when I integrated my dedicated storage array into the workflow. I’m running a local rack-mount server that uses a PERC H750 as the primary HBA/Controller, managing a fairly dense mix of high-speed SAS drives for my active video projects and some high-capacity SATA drives for long-term archival. It’s a bit of an enterprise-grade solution for a home office, but I do a lot of high-bitrate work, so I really need that sustained throughput and RAID stability.

The specific point I’m struggling with is a strange “stutter” or flickering in my monitors. Whenever the PERC H750 begins a heavy write operation to the SAS array—like when I’m offloading several hundred gigabytes of raw 4K footage—my monitors connected through the dock will momentarily freeze or even black out for a second before recovering. It almost feels like a resource conflict on the PCI-E bus or maybe some weird interrupt jitter, though the system itself stays responsive.

I’ve already checked the basics: I updated the internal graphics drivers and made sure the DisplayLink software is current, but the issue persists. I’m starting to wonder if the overhead from the PERC controller’s cache-flushing is somehow clashing with how the dock’s chipset handles the virtual graphics stream. It’s a bit of a “Frankenstein” setup—mixing enterprise-grade SAS-SATA controllers with consumer-grade docking solutions—but the performance is perfect until that high-bandwidth write hits.

Has anyone else here running a prosumer home lab seen their dock struggle when an internal HBA is pushing massive data volumes? I’m trying to figure out if I should be looking at BIOS-level PCI-E lane assignments or if there’s a specific power-management setting I’m overlooking that might be causing the USB-C bus to dip momentarily.

Do you think the H750’s background housekeeping could be creating enough latent jitter to actually desync a USB-based graphics adapter, or should I be looking at my workstation’s motherboard as the bottleneck?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

I recommend we start by getting some additional details about the docking station, and how it is connected to the server.

When you have a moment please let me know the specific model of the docking station, this can be found on the label on the bottom of the docking station in the format “####-A#####”.

Please also let me know how the docking station is connected to the server, for example is it connected with an Ethernet cable from the docking station’s gigabit Ethernet port to the server, or using a separate USB Ethernet adapter? If a separate adapter please let me know the manufacturer name and model of the adapter and/or the data rate ( for example Gigabit Ethernet, 2.5Gbps Ethernet, 5Gbps etc ).

Additionally, please let me know the manufacturer name and model of the host computer:

For Windows:

  1. Open the Start Menu and search for “msinfo32” and launch the first search result
  2. Please let me know the values from the following entries ( on the right column ):
    2a) “System Model”
    2b) “System SKU”
  3. Please feel free to attach a screenshot of this window to your reply email if you prefer by using the Windows Snipping Tool ( from the Start Menu search for “Snipping” ) and I can get the details from there

For macOS:

  1. Open the Apple Menu > About this mac…
  2. Please let know the system model details and macOS version from this page
  3. Please feel free to attach a screenshot of this window to your reply email if you prefer by using the macOS screenshot hotkey combination [Command ⌘]+[Shift ⇧]+[4] then dragging a selection box around the window, the screenshot will be saved to the desktop and can then be attached to your reply email.

About how far away is the server from the docking station? For example is the server in a rack next to the workspace, across the room, or in another room entierly? It is possible if the server is close to the docking station that radio frequency interference could be affecting the USB 3 devices in the docking station or connection from the docking station to the host computer. USB is susceptable to interference in the 2.4GHz ISM band which is shared by many consumer wireless devices and also a “dumping ground” for radio inteference because it has limited regulations, for example if the HBA is emitting radio noise when under strain this could be affecting the docking station’s USB data connection to the computer potentially causing this behavior.

Thank you for these additional details, I look forward to your reply email and we can proceed from here.

Pat
Plugable Technologies

Hello,

I hope you’re doing well! I just wanted to follow up on my last email from Friday to see if you had a chance to review it. I understand things can get busy, so no worries if it slipped through.

If you have any questions or need more information, I’m happy to help.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technologies