Display three monitors with Pluggable USB-C dock

I have a Pluggable USB-C dock that I want to use with a Dell Latitude 7480. For two of the monitors I have Dell P2414hb; for the third monitor I have an older Dell P1911 monitor. So far as I know, none of the monitors are 4K support. I can successfully wire any of the monitors to the VGA or standard HDMI port and see content displayed. However, when I try to connect any any of the DVI ports on the monitors to the HDMI 4K port using a HDMI high-speed cable, I don’t see any content displayed on that monitor.

Do I need to purchase a 4K monitor to make use of the third available port (I had hoped to be able to use one of the monitors already in place, although with equivalent or slightly degraded content display)?

Hi There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist.

The 4K HDMI port on the Triple Display Docking station does not require the individual display that is connected to be a 4K based display, but instead supports resolutions up to 4K@30Hz. We do know that the Dell 7480 is compatible with your system, so we may need to do some additional troubleshooting to isolate the issue.

When connecting the docking station to your system, are you utilizing the original USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the dock, or an alternate cable?

When connecting the various displays to the docking station, what is the HDMI to DVI cable you are utilizing? (would it be possible to obtain a link or model number to identify its abilities?)

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks for the quick response Mark. I had forgotten I was using a USB 2.0 to USB-C cable so that I could use 2 of the 3 monitors with a Microsoft Surface. I reverted to using the provided USB-C to USB-C cable for my Latitude and see content displayed on the 3rd monitor.

Hi There,

Fantastic! I appreciate you testing this out, and letting me know. The 4K HDMI port on the dock utilizes a unique feature of USB-C called “Alt-Mode” in order to output to the connected display (the other ports use standard USB 3.0 technology and DisplayLink drivers to connect) and this can only be used when the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the dock originally is connected to the dock and system. I am so glad to hear that everything is now connecting and working properly, but please do not hesitate to reach out to us in the future if you have any additional questions or concerns, and I would be more than happy to assist.

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support