Display not detected for USB 3.0 Docking Station on Macbook Pro Catalina

Hello,
I recently purchased the USB 3.0 docking station, and have been struggling to get it to work.

I have a macbook pro running Catalina 10.15.7. I can plug in the monitor directly to an HDMI adaptor and the display works fine, but if I plug it into the docking station, in the DisplayLink manager it just says “no monitor detected”. The keyboard through the docking station seems to be working fine. I’ve tried reinstalling the drivers, and rebooting, and tried the DVI port instead of the HDMI port… and am not sure what else to try.

Is my only option to return it at this point, or is there some way to make it work?

Could use some help. Thanks.

Wanted to add, it looks like the sound port in the front doesn’t work either. Confirmed again that the keyboard is definitely working. I tried the instructions from another forum post for Catalina 10.5, to make sure I had the right version of the software, and it just… doesn’t work.

Hi Sally,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support. We are sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue and would be happy to help!

When you have a moment could you please confirm that you have DisplayLink Manager App 1.3 installed and that you have allowed your operating system to permit “Screen Recording”?

To do so please follow the link below.

DisplayLink Manager App Installation Instructions on macOS 10.15+
https://kb.plugable.com/questions/799275

After following these steps please retest and let us know the results.

We look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Michael S.

Hi Michael,
I’m making some progress!

So, I uninstalled, and then reinstalled using the link you provided, and at first I got the same behavior with it not detecting the monitor and not requesting permission for screen recording, but then I checked the box to startup DisplayLink on login, and rebooted, and then after the reboot and login, I got the notification requesting screen recording, and once I did that, the monitor started working! Yay!

So, I’ve got a keyboard and monitor now, but the speakers still aren’t working. I’ve got my speakers plugged into the headphone jack in front of the dock. Seems like that should work… hmm. The speakers work fine when I plug them directly into my laptop.

Is there anything else that needs to be done for sound?

Yay! I got sound working!

When I went into the sound settings in system preferences > sound > output, I had to select the “Plugable Audio” as the default output channel for sound, and then boom! sound started working.

Okay, I think I’m good. Thank you for the help with resolving the monitor issue. :smiley:

Hello Sally!

I second that Yay! So happy to hear that you got everything working!

Thank you so much for providing your updates. That is very much appreciated.

It sounds (no pun intended :grinning:) like you have your UD-3900 and MacBook Pro operating as expected. If you have any additional concerns or questions please don’t hesitate to ask as we are always happy to help.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kind regards,

Michael S.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.