Display blanking

Get random blinking screens before going blank on both displays. Using model UD-3000 & DisplayLinkUsbIo_x64_7.7.60366.0.sys driver on ASUS X555L laptop w/ (old) Samsung 2nd monitor thru vga conn. Running Win 8.1. Problem was intermittent, but seems to always fail after a Win update this morning.

Hi Gilbert,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry your dock stopped working well after the Windows Update. I’d be happy to help!

The first step is to make sure that the Windows Update did not affect the DisplayLink driver for the dock itself. Although you are running the latest version we recommend, we’ll want to perform a clean install of the driver to see if that get’s everything going again. Please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the Asus and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely. Please keep it disconnected until the last step.

2. Uninstall the DisplayLink Core software from the Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here:
    http://displaylink.com/support/sla.ph…

4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)

5. Now download and run the 7.7 M4 DisplayLink software, found here:
    http://displaylink.com/support/sla.ph…

6. Reboot, even if not prompted to

7. Once you’re back in Windows, reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your Asus laptop which will trigger the final portion of the installation

Hopefully that gets everything going again. Please let us know the results when you have a moment and we’ll determine the next steps from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Seems to have worked. After the final portion of the installation, it seemed to have lost the screens again; however, yet another reboot seemed to have done the trick. I’ll still keep a cautious eye out.

Thanks for the response.

For what it is worth, after some weeks of a steady setup - I began getting blinking and some monitors shutting off. I have an add setup which is probably contributing to the weirdness I see.

I have a Surface Pro 2 connected to a Surface Pro 2 docking station. The Displayport connection goes to a Belkin DisplayPort to dual DVI adapter and the USB 3.0 port goes to a Plugable USB to DVI (UGA-3000) adapter.

I think a Windows update threw things for a loop and my Intel video driver reverted to an older version. After some trouble, I was able to update to the latest Intel video driver but when I connected the Plugable, it would disable the Belkin. The two became mutually exclusive. After trying a few things I ran across this post and tried the cleaning process and reinstall of the DisplayLink software. After the second reboot - all three monitors again began working.

Thanks for putting this up - it would have taken me much longer to track this down without running across this.

thanks,

Larry

Hi Gilbert,

Glad to hear everything is working properly now after a clean driver install. Please let us know if you need any help in the future!

Thank you,

Bob

After about a day of implementing the clean driver install ‘fix’, one of my monitors is still blinking randomly every couple of hours (the computer also makes a noise like it is being disconnected and reconnected) - any tips for tracking down why other than to repeat the clean driver install again?

thanks.

Hi Larry,

Since you mention you are hearing the chime that a USB device is being disconnected and reconnected, the best way to move forward is to have you send the output of our PlugDebug utility –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to our direct support email address at support@plugable.com along with a short description of the behavior. The logs will let us see in more detail what may be happening.

If possible please also include your Amazon Order ID number in your email.

Thank you,

Bob

Thank you Bob, I went ahead and sent the plugdebug to your support team.

I’m still having a problem - somewhat different but probably related, and annoying. Now when I boot the laptop, I occasionally get a blank screen on both the native laptop display and the 2nd display. The mouse (connected thru Plugable) will display, but that is all. Last time it happened - a few minutes ago - I cycled the power on the Plugable & the laptop, and same thing happened. I then disconnected Plugable, rebooted laptop to get its native display to function, then connected Plugable, and everything is back to normal.

This doesn’t happen all the time - just occasionally, so far about 50% of time.

Hi Gilbert,

Given the sporadic nature of the behavior, the next step would be to examine some log files from your system. Can you send the output of our PlugDebug utility –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to our direct support email address at support@plugable.com along with ‘Ticket 109626’ in the subject line? The logs will let us see in more detail what may be happening.

If possible please also include your Amazon Order ID number in your email.

Thank you,

Bob

I am having the same issue. Screens get all messed up. Have to run through the displaylink removal / cleanup / reinstall process then it is good for a couple of weeks. Then i have to do it all over again. Would appreciate it if someone has a permanent fix for this.

Hi Kent,

Thanks for joining the discussion. Based on your description of the behavior, we will want to get more information from your system to determine the next steps.

Can you send the output of our PlugDebug utility –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to our direct support email address at support@plugable.com just after the behavior has occurred? The logs will let us see in more detail what may be happening.

Please also include your Amazon Order ID number in your email (don’t post that here).

Thank you,

Bob