Disconnects from Macbook 16 Inch M1 every so often

Every so often, the hub completely disconnects from the Mac and therefore all devices and then reconnects about 5-10 seconds later.

This is becoming rather annoying.

Hello there,

Thank you for posting on the forum!

I am sorry to hear that you are running into issues with your USB4-HUB3A, but I would be happy to help diagnose the issue.

First, can you confirm that you are trying to connect to your laptop using the included Thunderbolt 3 cable that came with your dock? We’ve seen issues arise when a third party cable is used.

Next, some steps we’ll want to take are to perform a power-cycle of the unit to reset its internal hub chipset. We’ve seen that this can often restore the dock back to a working state when one or more of its functions are not quite working. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect all USB peripherals and displays connected to the dock
  2. Disconnect the docking station from host machine, then disconnect the power adapter from power
  3. Leave unplugged for 1 minute for power to dissipate
  4. Connect docking station initially into power only
  5. Connect docking station to host machine, then connect USB peripherals and displays, then test for functionality

Please let me know if this helps at all.

Lastly, can you confirm that this issue is present no matter which Thunderbolt 4 port you connect the hub to on your MacBook?

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I did that, and the issue still remains. In tracking down a cause, it looks like it is reproducible and occurs when activating a High Definition Webcam. I have 2 cameras that are 4K and they both cause the issue when attempting to stream video.

It also occurs on any of the thunderbolt ports I connect the hub to.

Hello there,

Thank you for the response.

This is good to know that the issue is reproducible and that the webcam likely triggers this issue.

Can you clarify how the webcam is connected to the hub, as well as the make and model of the webcams that you are using?

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

One is a Logitech 4K Brio, the other is a Logitech StreamCam.

The webcam is connected to the middle thunderbolt port on the power supply side of the hub.

This behavior also occurs when it is the only device, though it is much more noticeable when other devices are connected because they will all drop connectivity.

Hello there,

Thank you for the response.

I do want to let you know that we have seen similar issues with the Logitech 4K Brio and other docks/hubs that we support. This has been an ongoing issue that we haven’t been able to fully diagnose, but our suspicion is that the webcam somehow shuts down the USB hub chipset in our hubs for a second before reconnecting. We haven’t heard of any particular issues with the Logitech StreamCam, but I am sure the issue is the same here.

Unfortunately, our only workaround to this issue at the moment is to connect the camera directly to the MacBook.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I have a similar problem and opened a case about it already on USB4-HUB3A model. I use none of the devices you do, machine, but do use 4K monitor/display and several SSD Drives chained together. I can force the problem to occur by touching the PD cable to the computer, so suspect the cable itself as the problem. Since the cable was supplied, I consider this a warranty issue and defective. Gathered and submitted a log with my report. (My machine is a MBP 9,2 2021 M1).

Hello Henry,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable Support! Taking a look at the ticket that you reached out to us directly with, it looks like Bob has assisted you with a replacement cable, and I am hoping that addresses the issue here!

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I ended up buying a different product and haven’t had an issue since. I was just having way too many issues even without the webcam plugged in.

With information I supplied to Plugable, they stepped up and offered to replace the 0.8m cable that we suspected as defect.I already replaced that cable with another brand so I’m able to work without a problem for the last few days.

I think that users should carefully evaluate and troubleshoot issues to find the right product(s) to fit their needs.

So one universal hub/cable/configuration to deal with both speed and connectivity is not possible. Yet.

What I pinned down as my issue hopefully will not recur. But still can’t say for sure if standards setting organization usb.org has gone the extra mile to categorize, solve and go through acceptance of connectors and cable types to certify them, it’s still a far from perfect world for users.

Good luck, Plugable!

yeah I just gave up. Even using their cable on a different brand dock/hub with all my devices I haven’t had a problem. So the webcam shutting down the USB hub chipset in their hubs for a second before reconnecting is definitely a defect they need to resolve. I just write it off as a buyer beware lesson.

Michin,
Sorry for misspelling your name on a previous quote (autocorrect…). It’s unfortunate that you had the problem and apparently did not discover it in time for a refund/return to place of purchase. I’d also be upset to discover a problem like yours with what should be a simple webcam connection.

Doesn’t mean much that Plugable gave you an honest response (heard about it, no solution). A better answer would be a compatibility page you could immediately check, since it apparently was a known issue (to them).

In a perfect world everything is interoperable. Alas, not always so. If a defect like that occurs and you can test for it within a short time period, a return may be the only immediate option and your comment here may help somebody else! Caveat emptor.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.