different resolutions on hdmi and dvi port result in the lower resolution even if the port with lower resolution is not used

Hello everyone,

I am using both the HDMI and DVI port on my Plugable Docking Station. On the DVI Port I connected a AV Receiver with a FullHD projector 1920x1080px, on the HDMI port I connected a wide resolution monitor 2560x1080px. However, I get different results when DVI is plugged in and when it’s not, even while not being used (meaning I don’t display anything):

• When it’s plugged in I get just the FullHD resolution on my wide screen monitor.
  • When it’s unplugged I get full support of 2560x1080 resolution.

I’m using Windows 10.

Why is the resolution reduced by just plugging in a device with lower resolution even though it’s not used? Is there any way around this?

Since I bought the docking station in order to avoid plugging and unplugging all the time, the reasoning to having bought the docking station narrows down significantly…

My short term solution is a HDMI splitter which I connect only to the HDMI port and always press a button on it to switch ports. This is not sufficient, since I’d like to use both the monitor and the projector at the same time without having disadvantages with the monitor’s resolution.

Thanks for any help!

Max

Hi Mak,

Thanks for contacting us. I would be happy to help with your docking station!

Thank you for the detailed description of your setup. Based on that description it sounds like the dock is working properly. The HDMI port only supports the 2560x1080 resolution when it is the only port in use. When you physically connect the second display the DVI output both ports will be limited to 1920x1200.

A potential workaround would be to add one of our UGA-4KHDMI adapters (amazon.com/dp/B00NQCFXGA) to one of the USB 3.0 ports of the dock as it will not be subject to the same limitation. The other option would be to return the dock for a refund and switch to using one of our USB 3.0 hubs with one UGA-4KHDMI for your monitor and a second adapter for your projector.

Let us know if that information helps. If you decide to return the dock, just send an email to support@plugable.com with your Amazon Order ID number and a link to this forum post we can get the process started.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Bob,

thanks for the comprehensive reply! I’d have answered quicker if I had gotten a notification about your answer :slight_smile:

Your second proposal sounds good to me (USB 3.0 hub with 2x UGA-4KHDMI), since it’s also cheaper than the first one, provided you refund the full price I paid for the docking station (127,95€). Only, I saw a review on the UGA-4KHDMI claiming that there are delays on the monitor…?

Still, I’d like to try that and will write an email.

Thanks and best,

Max

Hi Max,

Thanks for getting back! I just responded to your direct email, so look for that in your mailbox.

Thank you,

Bob