Device stopped working.

Hello, We bought several of these devices for general useage. However, a few of these devices fail. After failure, When they are plugged into the USB port, they randomly appear in device manager. OS is windows XP SP3. Please advise.

Hi Dominic,

Thanks for posting here! I’m sorry to know that you are having trouble with one of our products.

As we have many products, could you post back and let us know which one(s) you have. If you have trouble figuring it out, just shoot us an email at support@plugable.com with your Amazon Order ID and we will pull this information from there.

Once we know which model you have we will be able to help figure out what is causing the issue and how to resolve it.

Regards,
Roze

Sorry about that. It is the USB-VGA-165.

Dominic,

The Plugable USB-VGA-165 is a high powered USB 2.0 device that requires close to USB 2.0 max limit of 500 mA of power to function properly.

The most probable cause of the Plugable USB-VGA-165 dropping off the bus is lack of adequate power caused by-:
a) Port on which it is plugged is not capable of providing 500 mA of power
b) Faulty cable
c) USB Connectors not being tight enough.

Some quick questions to narrow things down-:

1. What is the make and model (or specs) of the upstream computer(s) on which the connected Plugable USB-VGA-165 fails?

2. How is the Plugable USB-VGA-165 connected to the system? Is it through an inbuilt USB port on the system or through a hub?

3. If you unplug and replug the Plugable USB-VGA-165 to another inbuilt USB 2.0 port on the system (making sure that the connections are tight enough) does the unit get powered and work?

4. As you have multiple units, could you swap a good working unit with one which randomly drops off Device Manager to see if the bad unit stays consistently on the Device Manager on that particular system and port? Please use the same USB A to mini-B cable (making sure that the connections are tight enough) that was connecting the good unit so that we can rule out a bad cable. This test will help rule out/confirm a bad unit.

If the device drops off USB on a known good USB port while connected through a known good USB A to mini-B cable, then it points to a hardware fault. If that is the root cause of the issue you are seeing, then shoot us an email at support@plugable.com with your Amazon Order ID(s) and the serial number(s) (given at the back) of the device and we will send you replacements for the faulty units.

Regards,
Roze

Hello,
Thank you for responding.
I’ve done those tests. The bad units won’t work on any computer where there is presently a good unit.

I emailed the serial #'s and the amazon ID.

Thank you.

can you please give me a status update?

Dominic,

We have not received an email at support@plugable.com with your Amazon Order ID and the serial nos of the faulty units.

As soon as we receive it, we’ll ship you the replacements.

Regards,
Roze

Roze,

I’m having this problem as well.

Dana

Dana,

Just shoot us an email at support@plugable.com with your Amazon Order ID, the serial no (given at the back) of the device and the details of the issue you are seeing. We will help figure out the root cause of the issue you are seeing and possible solutions.

Regards,
Roze