Determine Windows Address, Netmask, and Gateway

After following this question I have successfully connected 2 Linux(ubuntu) pcs together.

http://support.plugable.com/plugable/…

I can successfully able to ssh from one computer into the other(confirms linux support).

Now I would like to try and connect a windows computer(ssh using putty) into linux.

My problem currently is that that I am not really sure what address, netmask, and gateway to set in linux.

I am not much of Windows guy, so I am not really sure how to query the values in windows. Maybe there are some default Windows Address, Netmask and Gateway settings Plugable uses?

Thanks!

Hi Liam,

Thanks for posting your question here about using the Easy Transfer Cable as a point to point USB network device, I’ll do my best to help.

I currently don’t have a cable available to test with and I didn’t find much detail available online so I’ll have to give you a better answer tomorrow when I can try it out.

In the meantime though, install the drivers if you are on XP or Vista from the following link (they’re built-in to 7 and 8):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wi…

Next we’ll look for the USB network device. If it’s visible in device manager, look at the network adapters menu. You can open it by right clicking on the network icon and then selecting “open network and sharing center” it may slightly different on your version of Windows.

Then select change adapter settings. There may be a USB network adapter listed here. (Prolific 25X10). If so right click and choose properties and then choose TCP/IP to set a static IP address that is in the same subnet as the Linux machine you want to connect to

Again, I apologize if this is inaccurate as I don’t have a cable available to test with. I’ll be able to give you a better answer tomorrow, but this is where I would start.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Hi,

Sorry to jump in, but if you’re trying to find the IP address of a Windows machine:

• Start a command prompt (Start->Run->cmd then
  • Type: ipconfig /all

That should show all of the network adapters and their IP addresses, gateways and DNS servers (so that’s equivalent to “ifconfig -a” in *nix).

Jim