Dell XPS 13 9350 with tbt3-udc1, should it work?

I have a Dell XPS 13 9350 Laptop and 2 SyncMaster PX2370. Will the TBT3-UDC1 docking station allow me to connect my Laptop with the extension monitors?

From laptop thunderbolt (TB) software, I am able to approve the TBT3-UDC1 connection. (From TB software, I see it is put to Port1). Every time I plugging in the TB3 cable, windows 10 reports “USB device not recognized” error. And the laptop has no ethernet with ethernet cable connected to the dock, only default wi-fi connection works.

I have updated all DELL firmware and driver on XPS 13 9350.

I am using the TB3 connection cable come with the TBT3-UDC1 dock.

After some reboots and disable and enable the Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft), the Ethernet and USB ports are working.

Working on the two Sumsung displays, I am trying to connect them using DisplayPort to DVI connection cables. However, I am not lucky to be able to find the extension monitors from internal monitor. Do I must use the in box Active DisplayPort to HMDI cable to connect the two monitors?

Thanks for the help!

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable Support! I am sorry to hear that you were having issues with your TBT3-UDC1 dock, but I am glad that you were able to solve the Ethernet and USB issues.

Based on your description of the issues with your displays, it is likely that you are using passive DisplayPort to DVI adapter cables. Dual-Mode DisplayPort (DP++) outputs are needed to use passive adapters, and unfortunately the TBT3-UDC1 only has regular DisplayPort outputs, which do not work with passive adapter cables to convert the video signal.

You can, however, use active adapters with regular DisplayPort outputs to convert the video signal. So for your setup, you would likely need an “active DisplayPort to DVI adapter” to connect to your monitors. Another option is using the two active DisplayPort to HDMI adapters included with your dock, and then using HDMI to DVI cables to connect to the monitors. Unfortunately, we do not sell any of these products ourselves.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks Even.

I changed to active display port adapters, and the dual monitors are working. Case closed.

Steve.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.