Dell DP cable didn't fit into my new ud1-83 that I thought was suppose to happen?

I have a Dell XPS gen 7 Thunderbolt 3. laptop. I purchased a Dell monitor earlier this week and it has a DP connection to the computer which I don’t have. Dell techs told me I need a docking station to connect the cable. The plugable ud1-83 said it had a DP adapter so I bought it. The only adapter is HDMI.

The Dell monitor DP cable that attaches to the computer is a rather square plug the size of an old printer plug, but with “lots of teeth”. Is there an adapter of cable adapter for this cable, or am I looking in the wrong direction?

Hi Donald,

Bob on our team sent the email below on Friday. Just wanted to post here as a follow-up as well.

Hopefully using a DisplayPort cable helped get things going, but if not, please let us know the model of Dell monitor you’re using and we’ll see if that helps us determine the necessary connections.

Thanks!

Hi Donald,

Thanks for contacting us, and I would be happy to help with your new docking station!

Our Thunderbolt 3 docking station has what is known as a full-size DisplayPort output on the back of the unit (this is port number seven in the included quick start guide diagram, I attached a PDF copy if you need it).

If your Dell monitor has a DisplayPort input, you should be able to use a standard full-size DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to connect from the dock’s DisplayPort output to the monitor’s DisplayPort input (most Dell monitors that have a DisplayPort input include such a cable in the box with the monitor). To put things another way:

TBT3-UD1-83 Dock -> DisplayPort output -> DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable -> DisplayPort input of Dell monitor.

Hopefully that information helps! If it doesn’t please let me know if you have any additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you could also let me know the specific model number of the Dell monitor you are using that would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance for your patience and giving us the chance to help!