Dell AW3225QF 10-bit?

Hi. I am extremely happy with my UD-4VPD purchase. As advertised it enables dual monitor 4K at 120hz. Thanks!

One curiosity I have is why it doesn’t pass through 10-bit color depth? This isn’t a deal breaker but would be nice to get working.

The top image is when plugged directly into the laptop, the bottom is through the dock.

The laptop running the dock has an OLED monitor that is 10-bit depth and I’m trying to get everything to match.

Any ideas on getting 10-bit passed through? Thank you. :+1:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, I am happy to help!

This docking station relies on DisplayPort MST ( Multi-Stream Technology) to split a single USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode video connection to the two external displays, this may be limiting the available bandwidth enough to prevent 10-bits per color channel with both displays connected to the docking station.

With just one of the displays connected to the docking station are you able to set 4K 120Hz 10-bits per color channel?

I also recommend ensuring the computer’s graphics drivers are fully up to date, AMD website will generally have more current drivers than Windows Update or the system manufacture’s website ( https://www.amd.com/en/support ). From here you can search for the CPU model, or the discrete graphics controller depending on your system’s specifications, if you are unsure please let me know the manufacturer name and model of the computer as well as the specific model of process and graphics controller:

For Windows:

1. Open the Start Menu and search for “msinfo32” and launch the first search result
  2. Please let me know the values from the following entries ( on the right column ):
    2a) “System Model”
    2b) “System SKU”
    2c) “Processor”
  3. Expand the section “Components” > “Display” and please let me know the values from the following entries ( on the right column, for each of the graphics adapters separated by a blank line ):
    3a) “Name”
    3b) “Driver Version”
  4. Please feel free to attach a screenshot of this window to a reply email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #428253 Attention Pat’ if you prefer by using the Windows Snipping Tool ( from the Start Menu search for “Snipping” ) and I can get the details from there

Thank you for these additional details, I look forward to your reply email and we can go from here.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

1 Like

Hello,

GollyJer contacted us via direct email and we found a solution to enable 10-bit color depth on both displays through the AMD Adrenalin Edition software:

1. Open the Start Menu and search for “AMD” - select the “AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition” search result, if you do not see this you may need to install the latest AMD graphics drivers directly from AMD’s website as Lenovo may be removing this from their driver version.
  2. Select the “Gaming” tab, then the “Display” sub-tab
  3. For each of the external displays, select the display under “Global Display” then check the “Color Depth” drop down for 10-bit mode, if available select this mode for each of the external displays.

We’re closing this thread, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com

1 Like