Cursor lag remains a problem


#1

I’m experiencing horrendous lag/chop in my cursor movements on an external display. Prior to the anniversary update in 2016, everything worked wonderfully. After the AU, I haven’t been able to use my UD-3900 as a display adapter because the display lag was so distracting.

Now, I’m not even able to use the UD-3900 as a hub. Right now, I’m running a single external display from the miniDP port on my laptop, and I have only a mouse+keyboard combo plugged into the UD-3900. When I move the moue cursor around the second display, the motion is so choppy that it becomes completely unusable. It is not a problem with the mouse plugged into my laptop USB port, nor does it go away if I move the receiver around to the various USB ports on the docking station.

Please, I’d love to be able to use the display outputs (or at least the USB hub and ethernet adapter). But right now, any (ANY) full-screen activity (editing documents, scrolling through pages, etc) results in hang-ups.

Presently, I’m running an up-to-date installation of Win10 with the 8.1 M0 displaylink driver. Machine is a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga w/ 6th gen i5 & 16GB RAM.


#2

Hi Casey,

Thank for posting, and I would be happy to help with your docking station.

Thank you for the great detail you provided about your setup and the behavior you are seeing, that is very helpful. You mention you are using a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga system, by any chance are you running your laptop with the lid closed when connected to the dock? If that is in fact the case, if you open the lid to enable the internal display does that help with the behavior you are seeing?

I ask because in some cases with Yoga systems there can be a power issue with the lid closed that can cause poor performance, and testing in this manner may help determine if that is the case here.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support


#3

Hi Bob,

I’m running with the laptop open, for a total of three displays. I’ve also tried disabling all CPU parking/throttling when connected to the AC adapter, but that didn’t help much.

What I noticed today (laggy input from the USB wireless mouse+keyboard) didn’t bode well for the responsiveness of peripherals connected to the docking station.

That being said, I probably should be a bit more thorough with my own testing following the driver update. I’ll give it another try tomorrow with external displays driven through the dock to verify whether the problem affects external displays (as it did previously), USB inputs (as it certainly does now), or both (as I’m concerned it does).


#4

Hi Casey,

Thanks for getting back with the update, appreciate the extra detail you provided and the troubleshooting steps you have already performed.

Pending the outcome of your additional testing, the next step is to completely reset the dock and perform a ‘clean’ install of the latest DisplayLink driver. I know you mentioned that you already have the latest 8.1 version installed, but following our steps will help ensure the driver is in a good state. If you would, please follow these steps:

  1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin… and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it -> https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.1 M0 DisplayLink software, found here --> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation. If the device is not detected, please reboot the system.

If that helps with the behavior, great! If not, please keep everything connected and send the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug --> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to support@plugable.com and mention ‘Ticket 168849’ so we can match things up. This will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps. If you can also include your Amazon Order ID in your email (don’t post that here) that will be most helpful.

Thank you for your patience!

Bob


#5