connecting my old desktop CPU to my new plugable laptop docking station

I decided to abandon my desktop computer for a laptop and purchased a Plugable UD-3900 docking station to use with the laptop and the dual monitors I used with my desktop. The new setup is working great. BUT I need to check for a file & related email that is on my desktop and wanted to simply plug it in (via USB)my desktop to the docking station but when I did and turned on the desktop I got no video on the monitors. I wanted to avoid having to undo the video, mouse, and keyboard cables from the Plugable and reconnect them to the desktop CPU. I did not install Plugable drivers on the desktop since I didn’t have any video on the monitors. Perhaps I need to just reattach all the cables to my desktop and install the Plugable drivers and it will work but I didn’t want to go to that trouble if the desktop will not work by simply plugging it into the UD-3900.

Hi Gene,

Thanks for contacting us,

Unfortunately, many systems will not complete the Power On Self Test if a monitor is not detected. I am sorry but it may not work as you hope.

In order to use the desktop I recommend connecting at least one display to the desktop’s graphics output. The docking station can be attached as a USB hub for the mouse/keyboard. If you do install the DisplayLink ( https://plugable.com/drivers/displaylink ) drivers and get the desktop to work with the docking station’s monitors, you can try rebooting it with just the docking station attached but it may not make it past POST or display to the monitors.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Pat
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Gene,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support