Connecting displayport monitor stops laptop/dock communication

I’m working with a brand new HP Spectre x360 connected to a USB-C 4k dock that worked well for a few hours today. It’s connected to a logitech mouse/keyboard dongle, ethernet cable and two displayport cables connected to two older Dell monitors.

Later this evening I found that the laptop, while responsive to the logitech mouse and keyboard no longer saw the monitors or ethernet cables.

I’ve disconnected the dock and it’s power, uninstalled the Displaylink software, ran the cleanup tool, rebooted, reinstalled the Displaylink software, reconnected the dock and slowly reconnected the devices one-by-one

The Logitech dongle is seen without issue and the ethernet cable pushes through without issue. When I connect a single Displayport cable it’s duplicated without issue long enough for me to open the display settings. it will show and identify the Dell monitor for a minute or so until the laptop display blinks and no longer sees the additional display. The ethernet connection is also lost, however the Logitech mouse & keyboard still works just fine. Internesting as well, the Displayport monitor will continue to display the last version of the laptop screen is was showing when connection was lost included the date/time frozen at the point of disconnection.

I have to unplug the USB-C cord, power off the dock, remove the attached devices and start the process again. I’ve tried this through both USB-C ports on the laptop and uninstalled/reinstalled the Displayport software twice. Looking for any other suggestions of what I should try.

Thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Based on the description of the behavior, we may be facing a bad DisplayLink chipset dock (the DisplayLink chipset in the dock controls Ethernet, audio, and the two DP outputs). There could also just be some issues in software that need to be fixed that are causing DisplayLink to crash (hence the frozen image and loss of Ethernet).

To get a better idea, we have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock with your devices attached to it into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

When emailing us the diagnostic results as an attachment please mention ticket # 350154 in the subject line.

If nothing looks out of place from a software perspective/troubleshooting doesn’t help, then we can try sending a pretested replacement dock under warranty.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

Thank you. I’ve emailed and sent the file with details to support@plugable.com

Thank you!

At this hour I likely will not have an update for you this evening, but I will do my best to reply tomorrow after my analysis of the diagnostics are complete and report back with my findings and any possible suggestions.

Best wishes,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.