Connecting 2 monitors to Chromebook with DisplayPort

I am looking for an affordable way to connect my new Asus Chromebook to my two Dell monitors that use two DisplayPort cables. I do not want to mirror displays, I just need extended display. Power charging and extra USBs a plus.

Do you have any hubs or docks or an adapter combo that would support this? The Chromebook has the following ports:

• 2 USB 3.1 Gen Type-C/DisplayPort/Power (DC) input combo port
  • 1 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Plugable and contributing to our forums, we’re always happy to help.

Since you’d like a dock that will let you add two DisplayPort monitors and can also charge your Chromebook, I’ll recommend our USB-C based UD-ULTC4K docking station. It will let you add three external monitors total, two monitors using DisplayPort outputs and one using HDMI output.

Plugable UD-ULTC4K - USB-C 4K Triple Display Docking Station with charging
Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779K9DG2
Plugable link - https://plugable.com/products/ud-ultc4k

We also have another dock with dual DisplayPort outputs, however since it is USB 3.0 based it would not be able to charge your Chromebook, this is our UD-6950 dock.

Plugable UD-6950 - USB 3.0 Dual 4K Display Docking Station
Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DJMVW2
Plugable link - https://plugable.com/products/ud-6950

I hope this information is helpful and please do let us know if you have any questions about this, we’re always happy to help.

Thanks!
-Andrew T.
Plugable Technologies

Thanks so much, Andrew. I appreciate the info.
UD-ULTC4K does not support ChromeOS.
UD-6950 doesn’t state anything about ChromeOS.

I did get in touch with ASUS support, and they said this model’s hardware does not support dual displays at all, but I just have a hard time believing that.

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know what ASUS says, I’m happy to add more information.

Both the docks I listed are compatible with ChromeOS, and to be sure, before I sent you the recommendation today I did test the UD-ULTC4K with a Samsung Chrome Book we have in the office and everything worked as expected including my three external monitors.

The second and third monitors on the triple display dock (UD-ULTC4K) and both monitors on the UD-6950 dock are powered by DisplayLink software which is already built in to ChromeOS. So, while your Chrome Book only supports one external monitor via the USB-C port, the DisplayLink chips in our docks will drive the other monitors using the DisplayLink software.

I hope this added information helps, and we do have a 30-day no-hassle return policy so if your Plugable devices do not work as expected we will happily issue you a full refund if you’d like to return the device. Please let us know if you have any questions about this or if we can provide any further information. We are always happy to help.

Thanks!

-Andrew T.

Plugable Technologies

I inadvertently asked your company about this in using two different methods - I want to be transparent so that you guys don’t duplicate work any more that I caused you to. I contacted a lot of companies today, and your company has been the most helpful by far. My support ticket is #294203. I am also letting the support person know I made this mistake.

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for working with us on this and for letting us know that you had two threads open with us, that’s no problem.

I’ll briefly summarize what we discussed in the support ticket so this post has the most updated information.

I misspoke in my previous message when I said that we would recommend the UD-ULTC4K dock with your Chromebook. The wired Ethernet port on our DisplayLink based docking stations use DisplayLink based Ethernet adapters and these adapters can have issues with ChormeOS so we do not recommend these docks for ChromeOS.

However, the docking stations can work on ChromeOS, and the issues where the docking station disconnects from the Chromebook only occurs when the Ethernet port is transferring large amounts of data. If anyone has questions about these details or what might work with their computer, please reach out to our support team directly at support@plugable.com so we can review your specific needs.

Thanks!

-Andrew

You all guys write an amazing post about how to connect 2 monitors to Chromebook. At our IIAHP Therapy Center sometimes we also face the issue of connecting 2 monitors to Chromebook but, after reading this post we do it. thanks for sharing amazing information.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.