Compatiblity with HP Spectre x360 15-bl062nr

Can you confirm if either UD-ULTCDL or UD-ULTC4K USB-C Triple Display Docking Stations our compatible or any record of testing and results? Thank you

Hi Reid,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I would be more than happy to answer your questions!

We have had similar models of this system inside of our testing department, as well as customers letting us know that this system is compatible with 15" Spectre x360 systems, but we also have seen many versions that are not compatible.

It seems to be the original generation (older) models that are working correctly, and the newer systems do not support Power Delivery, Data, and VESA Alt-Mode via a single USB-C port.

With this in mind, I would be weary about attempting to purchase a unit with out more compatibility information, or verification from HP that your model supports these features.

I hope this information helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns, and I would be more than happy to assist.

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

I just upgraded from one of the 2016 model Spectre 13" models to the new 15" with 8705G (intel i7 8th gen with Radeon RX Vega M).

I run two UD-ULTCDL’s (dual thunderbolt on 8705G). Only thing that doesn’t work is power delivery, which is to be expected with a power hungry laptop like this. Otherwise, I have monitors plugged into both, as well as USB and network cables and had no issues other than needing to update my displaylink drivers to work with the most recent Windows update.

Hope that helps!

Great to hear, thanks Logan! So that we can add all the details to our compatibility list, would it be possible to share the full HP model number? (Usually something like: 15t-123456)

15t-ch000. I was expecting the last two zeros to be numbers, however they aren’t. Might be because I custom ordered this laptop rather than purchasing a pre-configured model.

Follow up on the original post, I have the following configuration set up and operating:

1. HP Spectre x360 15.6 Notebook - HP Model #: 15-bl062nr
  2. Plugable UD-ULTC4K Docking Station
  3. 3 Sceptre 27" U278W-4000R 4K Monitors
  4. Logitech K350 Wireless USB keyboard & mouse via USB port front of dock
  5. Creative Sound BlasterX Katana Multi-Channel Gaming Soundbar via USB port
  6. Pioneer BDR-XD05B Slim External Blu Ray Player via 2 USB ports

Assessment: HP Spectre is plugged in via the USB-C cable to UD-ULTC4K and is charging appropriately when connected. Note: I do get a HP window upon initial boot up or waking up system that states “HP recommend using HP Power Adapter”. Though functioning as it should from a data/power charing standpoint. 2.) Via the Display port connection via the Plugable Docking Station, I have experienced some flashing screen from windows or movie to black every 2 seconds or intermittent signal issues, though trying to change the HDMI cable to Monitor 2, Displayport to HDMI adapter to HDMI to Monitor 1, and Display port to display port to montior 1/4 (1 is laptop screen/4 is Sceptre 27" monitor and config to see if the issue follows the display port connection, though not 100% conclusive at this times. I have reduced Scale and layout from 250% to 200%, as the intermittent issue seems to be more stable, though I still see it from time to time, if I have various windows open/streaming a movie from a NAS, though seems better and less frequent I see the intermittent signal issue described. Seems with I 3.) I do get a lag on the cursor / mouse movement sticks or lack of response, though it is working for the most part as it should. Hope this is helpful to someone out there! Enjoy…

For the mouse… try using the included Logitech USB extension.

I’ve been told that Unifying receivers don’t like USB 3.0 ports, and that the extension fixes it. Logic tells me that this is BS, since the receiver is only 2.0 and only has the pins for 2.0… so it should behave the same as using the 2.0 extension. My guess is that it’s the proximity to the plugable or laptop that is the bigger issue.

Either way, using the extension solved ALL of my keyboard/mouse issues.

Hi Reid,

Thank you so much for sending over all of this information! I appreciate you including the detailed break down of your configuration, the issues you have run into, and the individual troubleshooting and resolution steps you have gone through.

I would like to talk a little more regarding the flickering issue, and see if there is some steps we can advise on eliminating or reducing the problem from occurring. I know currently you are tracing the issue to a specific port, but after testing if you could reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com, we can work through some additional steps! Please include “Ticket no. 224847” in the subject line, just so we can keep all of this awesome information in the same ticket.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Logan,

This is correct! The problem is not directly related to the individual USB 3.0 port, but instead the USB 3.0 controller inside of the docking station. Sadly, this is an issue related to specific frequencies (ranging from 2.4Ghz to 5.0Ghz, which is the same as unifying receivers and WiFi) experiencing interference from the USB 3.0 controller on external docks or devices that have limited shielding on the controller. Most internal controllers in laptops are properly shielded, so thats why the problem is reduced when connected the dongles directly to the system vs the dock. When customers run into this issue, we normally advise them to utilize the rear ports on the dock, or we supply an extension cable to move the dongle as far away from the dock as possible. You can read more about this strange issue from this intel White Paper here -> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/…

Hope this information helps, thank you so much for being so informative!

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

FWIW, I’ve had flickering as well, however it has been pretty random.

Sometimes it will happen when moving a window from my primary(4k) to an external(1080P), other times it just makes a black box until completely transferred between two monitors.

What I have seen as being more consistent though, I get horizontal stripes of flickering color on my third external monitor. This is consistent whether it is the third monitor plugged into a single pluggable, or the second monitor when I’m dividing my monitors between two pluggables.

Thankfully when dividing my concentration between four monitors, that third external monitor is never hosting anything too critical to where it bothers me.

Marc: Thank you for the reply… Let me complete my configuration, as I am still waiting on my triple display echogear mount. As I can / will put my office back together at that point and try to play/troubleshoot the monitor flickr issue or phenomenon. I can set up call or follow up you and the team at that point. Note: I think I have resolved the lag or mouse stickiness cursor issue. Read up on interference with wireless mouse/keyboard and have moved the Pluable docking station w/ the USB wireless adapter closer to the mouse or vicinity and it is or seems to be responding much better. fyi… Reid

Hi Reid,

Fantastic! Once you have finished your configuration, you can reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com if any additional troubleshooting needs to occur. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns, and I would be more than happy to assist.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Logan,

Thank you so much for letting us know! Just to make sure we can separate your information and issues from Reids, could you please reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com, so that we can work through some log review and troubleshooting steps to see if we can resolve the issue?

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support