Compatible Monitors

Just like with the systems, do you have a list of compatible monitors that will work properly when connected to the built in display port? I also have the Samsung U28E590D trying to work with the UD-CA1 which I’m finding is not directly compatible without a work around. I also need to purchase another monitor and don’t want to discover I need a work around.
Monitors that I have found so far that are incompatible are;
Asus PB287Q, PQ321Q
Dell P2715Q, P2415Q, UP3216Q
LG 31MU97C-B, LG 24UD58-B, LG 27UD58-B
Philips 288P6LJEB
Sharp PN-K321
Viewsonic VX2475Smhl-4K, VX4380-4K
Samsung U28E590D

Hello Jon, thanks for posting and I’ll be happy to help. We do not have a running list of incompatible monitors as we have not identified any that have just “not worked” with our UD-CA1, so curious to find out what you are experiencing. We even have a couple of the monitors you mention (Dell P2415Q, Viewsonic VX2475Smhl-4K) in our labs for testing and they work with our dock.

When you mention that the monitors are incompatible, are you unable to see an image on the displays at all? Or are you unable to achieve the optimal resolution/refresh rate?

Would you be able to clarify the type of cable that you are using to connect from our dock to the monitors (what are the connectors on each end)?

Also, would you be able to let us know the brand and model of system you are using?

Please let us know these additional pieces of information whenever you have a moment and we will go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I have used both a Dell XPS 15 and a 2017 Macbook Pro on a Samsung U28E590D with the same results. Both the Dell and the Mac were connected to the UD-CA1 thru USB-C and the monitor was connected via HDMI at both ends to the UD-CA1. The monitor was bringing up an image at 3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz, but then the image would then flicker periodically causing it to be unusable.

Then I came across this information in the FAQ on your website under a different product;

http://plugable.com/products/tbt3-ud1…

Under the question Q: Are there any compatibility issues between specific 4K monitors and the TBT3-UD1-83 dock?

And I came across this question to which there’s only a work around;

http://support.plugable.com/plugable/…

Which prompted me to ask if there was a list for this product since there is none listed on the website nor work arounds mentioned either.

Hi Jon, thanks for the reply. Can you let us know the specific model of Dell XPS 15 you are using? If using the 9560, our UD-CA1 is not compatible with it. Additionally, our UD-CA1 is not compatible with the newest MacBook Pro systems with Thunderbolt 3 ports.

There is a workaround that has worked for some customers on the MacBook Pro systems, which has also worked with the Dell XPS 15 9560 systems, and that is to connect the power supply that came with the system at the same time as having our dock connected. However, there is not a workaround similar to the TBT3-UD1-83 forum post that you reference.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I have the Dell XPS 15 9550 with the Intel + Nvidia GPU

Hi Jon, thanks for the reply. We’d be happy to help troubleshoot this behavior on the Dell XPS 15 9550, however there is nothing additional we can suggest for the MacBook Pro.

If interested, we have a detailed blog post here –> http://plugable.com/2016/06/30/invest… that speaks to some of the issues seen on Dell Thunderbolt 3/USB-C systems using our USB-C docks. In short, we recommend making sure several pieces of software are up to date per Dell’s support pages.

If you’d like to begin troubleshooting, please download and run our PlugDebug diagnostic tool that can be downloaded from here –> http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug/ and please send the output file to our direct support email address at asupport@plugable.com with ‘Ticket Number 194238’ in the subject line. We’ll match everything up and determine next steps from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I got a chance this last weekend to test the UD-CA1 with both the 2017 Macbook Pro 13" w/o touchbar and the Dell XPS 15 9550 on a Dell S2817Q monitor thru just the HDMI connection. Both laptops worked flawlessly thru the UD-CA1 in mirror monitor and 2nd monitor mode straight from the box (except for the 60w limitation, but I knew that going in). I did not get a chance to do the tests again with the Samsung U28E590D workaround since I no longer have the Samsung monitor. I did go into the Intel Graphics Control Panel when the systems were working and noticed the refresh rate on the second monitor (the one connected to the dock) was set to 29p Hz instead of 30p Hz. So, for now I am happy with the UD-CA1 and have it on the Macbook Pro and would get a second one for the Dell XPS if it could handle the 81W. Any chance for that any time soon?