Compatibilities: audio output to input; sample rate; ASIO4ALL; Zoom

Is the output level of the headphone jack compatible with the maximum input level of the Mic jack? I’m looking at using two USB-AUDIO devices cross-connected to couple two applications on the same or different PCs.

Also the apps require the sampling rate to be 48kHz. From another discussion, I understand that can be set through Windows - is that correct?

And one app would connect through ASIO4ALL; the other is Zoom Meetings client. Any known issues with either of those?

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. To clarify, the adapter is fixed at 16-bit 48000hz (48khz). The adapter has 2 channel mic input, and supports 3.5mm TRS mic input only. XLR mics, lapel mics, 1/4 instrument cables and other jack styles even if adapted to 3.5mm will not work.

This is a mic input, and is not a substitute for a line level/aux input. The adapter must be set as the default device in Windows, and in other apps being used. We’ve seen good results with Zoom, but, I need to be clear that we haven’t tested this other app out, and cannot guarantee compatibility.

On this note, I cannot guarantee that the adapter will function properly if you are looking to do some type of source in from one app to the other. This is especially true if this is going to be in a live setting.

The adapter is good for things like Skype and Zoom, but again, we haven’t tested this other app out, and typically don’t suggest for other live situations/production as there may be latency. I hope this helps. Feel free to reach out to us directly at: support@plugable.com if you have any further questions.

Thank you,
Kevin
Plugable Support

Saw and answered your email reply first. For the benefit of others, I’ve ordered two on a gamble and will let you know how it works out.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I’m glad to see my message was helpful. I hope I didn’t sound too blunt, but, I always want to be clear and set expectations especially for something we haven’t tested. I’m hoping that this will work out for you as well, and I’d be curious to know what the result is!

Thank you, and I hope you have a great weekend!

Kevin
Plugable Support

Partial and confusing observations from initial testing of two USB-AUDIO devices and connecting headphone output of one to mic input of another. Too many variables in play but so far:

1. Was able to play test audio from Audacity out one into the other and record it in within the same instance of Audacity, set at 48kHz project rate.
  2. Audacity input and output gain settings could be set reasonably in Windows 10 (in the 50-70% range) but I had quite different values in Linux on the same pc. I’m a novice with Linux and have not found if there is an equivalent to Microphone Boost in Windows (set at 0dB).
  3. Noise and glitching are big variables. I’ve had both good and bad and don’t recognise patterns. I wonder if sometimes the glitching could be interrupts within the computer system - two USB-AUDIO devices plus the built-in audio interface contending for attention on time-shared buses. Experienced a variable hash sound in the earliest test which has not recurred in a systemic way.
  4. The mic input supports 2-channel stereo but has the channels reversed.
  5. Input Bass response is rolled off: -3dB at ~75Hz, ~6dB per octave below that; output looks flat to vicinity of 20-30 Hz. Both flat to 8K, didn’t check higher.
  6. ASIO4ALL is able to see the device in the Windows Device Manager and the Jamulus client works with it.

This is a bulky USB plug that crowds out adjacent connections on most hardware. I can fit one without interference on my old Toshiba Satellite 650 15" but not on my middle-aged Dell Inspiron 15. The ideal hub would have one socket per side or wide-spaced sockets or sockets rotated so the long sides are parallel.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I hope there aren’t any deal breakers here for you, and that hopefully the adapter will do the trick for you after some further optimization to fit your specific setup. Feel free to reach out to us directly at: support@plugable.com for any further support or questions.

Thank you,

Kevin
Plugable Support

Using the Oblique Audio RTL Utility gives an indication of the noise floor, crosstalk and the stereo reversal I reported earlier. The first screenshot measures from both inputs to both outputs and shows that it has been set to unity gain (0dB Return Loss) and the noise floor is -66dBFS. I wish it was better. The round-trip latency with a 256 sample buffer is 17ms. -

The second screenshot tests from the Left output to the nominally Left input. In this case the return loss skyrockets to 54dB indicating that the Left output is not connected to the Left input and what is measured is crosstalk (just enough that the latency measurement could be made). The noise floor is essentially unchanged. Changing either the input or the output to Device 2 gives a result similar to the first image, confirming the stereo reversal.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I’m sorry if the adapter isn’t meeting your need. I hoped it would work for your setup. Was this a recent order from Amazon? Feel free to reach out to us with your Amazon order number directly at: support@plugable.com, and we’ll be here to help you.

Thank you,

Kevin
Plugable Support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.