Citrix VDI wont display due to "Screen recording" requirement

I was supper thrilled to find a docking station that had 2 Display-ports! But after installing it, I can no longer connect to my work environment.

Let me be clear, the monitors do work, I can browse internet on them, I can watch Netflix (Through web browser) I just can’t work… The window for Citrix stays solid Grey. I worked with my help-desk and found it the problem is the DisplayLink Manager app’s requirement to “record” the screen.

With that being said, is there a plan for this docking station to work w/o requiring permissions to record the screen?

Thanks for asking!

I’m sorry to hear that the Plugable docking station is not working as hoped, and I would be happy to assist you with this today.

Unfortunately with our DisplayLink products this is expected behavior, and I can not speak to this behavior being changed.

Based on the description of the problem, I know that you are using a Mac system however I am not sure which one.

Could you provide the make and model of your Mac? We may have an alternative solution for you depending on which year the Mac is from.

Once again we’re sorry for the trouble, and I look forward to your reply.

Sean
Plugable Technologies

Hi Sean, I have exactly the same issue, could (desperately) use your help please.

I have a 2020 Macbook Air M1 running Monterey 12.4.

Your assistance would be much appreciated!

Jack

A screenshot is faster :slight_smile:
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 9.23.04 AM

Hello Jack and Mike,

I just wanted to let you know I am looking into this for you so that I can be sure to offer the best solution.

Sean

Thanks Sean!

Hello Jack and Mike,

I have some information to share with both of you. Unfortunately because each of your laptop models are different, the solutions I have do not apply to both of your systems equally.

Unfortunately when using our DisplayLink technology products, the ‘Screen Recording’ feature is required. This is the way that the UD-6950H can see the virtual displays being rendered by the DisplayLink Manager App. Please note that since we do not write this program, and this required was set in place by Apple we are unfortunately unable to assist with this.

With that said I can provide some possible solutions for each of you below.

Mike (2019 Intel based MacBook Pro) → Since you are using an Intel based Mac I could recommend to you one of our ‘Alt Mode’ docking stations instead. These docking stations do not use DisplayLink technology and can bypass this problem completely. An example would be our TBT3-UDC3 → https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-udc3 (As a bonus this docking station can also provide power delivery to your Mac.) You may also be interested in trying the solution that I have provided to Jack, as our mixed feature docking stations can be a bit cheaper.

Jack (2020 M1 based MacBook Air) → Unfortunately since you are using a 2020 M1 MacBook Air, the solutions we have available are limited. The original M1 series MacBook’s unfortunately are only capable of supporting 1 ‘Alt Mode’ display as a hardware limitation.
A possible solution would be to use one of our UD-ULTCDL, or UD-ULTC4K docking stations. These docking stations provide 2 DisplayLink displays (Uses screen recording), and one ‘Alt Mode’ display (that I believe could be used to show you Citrix display, however I am unable to personally test this theory). You can check out our UD-ULTC4K(Up to 4K@60hz) and UD-ULTCDL(up to 1080@60hz) here → https://plugable.com/products/ud-ultc4k // https://plugable.com/products/ud-ultcdl → Both of these docking stations can also provide power delivery over USB-C.

I hope some of this is helpful, I will keep a lookout for any follow-up questions.

Sean

Thanks for the prompt responses @SeanD !

I will return the one I have now and purchase the one you linked above BUT just to be clear, the TBT3-UDC3 DOES not require “Screen Recording” permissions on the Mac to work properly, correct?

Hello Mike,

Yes that’s correct! ‘Alt Mode’ technology does not require any software solutions as our DisplayLink technology based docking stations do.

Sean

@SeanD I just noticed the one you listed above does not have 2 Display Ports. I found this one https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-udz which seems to have 2 Display ports but I do not know if it uses the DisplayLink thech.

What i’m looking for is to connect 2 4k monitors via Display port.

Hello Mike,

Yes it would! The UDZ is also an ‘Alt Mode’ docking station. This is a great alternative, and one of our most feature rich docking stations (it is a higher cost however).

Sean

1 Like

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the reply. Not ideal having Citrix on one monitor but I guess it’s better than nothing!

Thanks

Jack

Hey Jack,

This is totally understood! I wish I had a better solution for you at this time.

I will note if you do get an upgrade to your laptop, the ‘M1 Pro’ and ‘M1 Pro Max’ chips can support more than 1 external ‘Alt Mode’ display.

Sean

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.