Chromebook Pixel 2015 has stopped charging using Pluggable USB Type-C Dock. Any idea what I can do to fix it?

Until recently, my Pluggable USB Type-C dock worked great to charge my 2015 Chromebook Pixel. Something has happened over the last few days to break that. When connected, the OS gives a warning that a “low power charger is connected”. Is my dock broken somehow?

Hello, thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear that our dock is no longer charging your Chromebook Pixel and I will be happy to help.

Just to clarify, are you using the USB-C cable that came with our docking station?

Also, would you be able to let us know the Chrome OS version that you are running?

Please let us know this additional information whenever you have a moment and we will go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, I am using the supplied USB C cable but I have also tried a replacement cable (Anker - one on Benson Leung’s "approved list) to the same result.

Interestingly, after I posted my question, I saw the “updated” information here: http://plugable.com/products/ud-ca1/ that indicates that the Pixel is “is no longer compatible”.

That is a bit frustrating and I’d be interested to know if that was due to a change on the Pluggable side or by Google (I suspect the latter). Even better would be some hack to make it work like it used to.

Thanks, Jay

Thank for the reply! We have seen some sort of regression on the Chromebook Pixels with the latest firmware loaded on our docks. What we have found is either connecting the power supply that came with the Pixel can help mitigate these issues and stabilize the connection. This is similar to what we have seen on some MacBook Pro and HP Spectre systems so I am curious if this workaround can help in the interim.

However, I would also be able to arrange for an older firmware version of the dock to be sent to you to see if it works better with your system. If you’d like to give one of the previous firmware versions of the dock a try, please just reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com with ‘Ticket Number 175374’ in the subject line so we can match everything up. Please also include the serial number from the bottom of the dock and your preferred shipping address and we will proceed accordingly.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks David. I will reach out via this channel. I very much appreciate the assistance!