Chrome rendering issue.

When using Chrome browser in Mac OS X 10.6.8, YouTube video appears blank and some page element does not render/refresh properly. For example, on GitHub.com, some of the dropdown does not “drop” while on the monitor connected to the adaptor, while non-issue on the monitor hooked up to the regular DVI adaptor.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for contacting Plugable. I’m sorry for the Chrome rendering issue via USB graphics.

1. Which model Plugable adapter do you have?

2. What is the make and model of the monitor where you are seeing the problem, and what is the resolution to which it is set?

3. Does the problem occur through Safari, too, or just Chrome?

Just reply to reach me. I’l provide next steps based on your responses. Sorry again for the hassles.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

1. UGA-2K-A

2. Dell U2412M, 1920x1200

3. No problem with Firefox and Safari. Just Chrome.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the insights. The issue is likely with Chrome’s hardware acceleration settings.

In the Browser addressing lines, type:

about:flags [ENTER]

This will bring up settings where you can turn off GPU compositing, threaded compositing, and GPU accelerated SVG and CSS filtering.

Let me know if disabling those settings solves the issue.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

Hi Aaron,

Didn’t get to test it out until I am in the office today. I did what you suggested. Most of the flags are already disabled with the exception of “Threaded compositing”. I disabled that one as well, and the problem is still there.

This problem doesn’t happen to every page, but consistently the same page. For me, it’s the project page in github. I notice that everytime i drag the browser window half way into the adapter driven monitor, the page would flashes once (doesn’t happen to pages that don’t have any problem) and behaves as if it freezes (cannot scroll or highlight text).

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan,

I’ve seen some reports of screen freezes on Chrome when run in OS X 10.6.8 that seem unrelated to USB graphics adapters.

I’m not sure if this is what you’re experiencing, but that possibility is coupled with the fact that some screen freezes related to running DisplayLink-based devices in 10.6.8 were fixed in later Mac OS X releases.

That you’re seeing it only in Chrome on certain Web pages would point to Chrome/OS issues rather than the Plugable adapter as the cause. Regardless of the source of the issue, we don’t want you to have spent money on a product that doesn’t meet your needs. If you wish to return the adapter, Amazon makes it easy through http://amazon.com/returns.

If this process doesn’t work for you, please let us know so that we can help.

I’m sorry there isn’t anything more I can do to try to make the issue go away. That’s not my preferred outcome, but in this case I don’t think there’s anything else I can suggest. If you do upgrade beyond 10.6.8 and still have the problems, please let us know, as we can raise them with DisplayLink to investigate.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for the quick responses. I am using this adapter alongside with the DisplayPort-DVI adaptor. The DisplayPort driven monitor does not have the same freezing problem.

I have this adapter since April 2012, it has been otherwise fantastic. I will continue to use it and live with the issue.

Alan

Thanks for letting us know and for your kind words. If we can help with any other issues related to Plugable products, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

Exact same issue. Bummer I can’t use Chrome on my main monitor because of this. Any update on a resolution? Thanks.

Hi Rick - feel free to email us at support@plugable.com. We’ll want to understand a few things about your machine - OS, primary graphics, Chrome version, and web page(s) causing trouble. We may be able to provide settings to fix. Thanks!