Charging no longer working as well as Third Monitor after a full year of no issues

Hello, I have been using this docking station for over a year with zero issues to output my M1 Macbook Pro to 3 displays with the laptop closed and mounted to the side. It has seriously been a

Just yesterday, the unit has stopped charging my laptop and stopped displaying to 1/3 of my monitors. Also, the entire unit shuts down if I close the laptop lid. (Which I am assuming is from the laptop not actively being charged) I have troubleshooted and reset the system many times, used different HDMI cables and USB Cables to no success. I am lost as to why the system could be working perfectly one moment, then have so many errors with seemingly no change.

Any ideas? Thanks

1 Like

I have similar problems on Windows. If I have a DP++ monitor plugged in, the laptop reboots (crashes and restarts) at the beginning of the day. I have found I need to do a Shutdown after the restart, turn the power off on the power strip the dock is plugged in to, then when I boot it all up everything works.

Lately, I have had the same crash and restart cycle when the laptop has gone to sleep after I’ve been away for a while.
Recently updated to Windows 11 from Windows 10, but it happened before that
There is about 10-second delay where it looks like everything is working following a wake-up from sleep, then the crash.

I was used to the steps in the morning, but the crashes after waking up are a big pain. Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to Plugable support! I’d be happy to help with that.

I did wish to get a little bit more information and details into this issue. Specifically, I wanted to ask if the display that is not connecting is labeled as display one on the back of the docking station?

I also wanted to ask if you are using the USB-C cable that came with the original docking station to connect with this computer?

The reason I asked these questions is the behavior you described seems like what I would expect to see when using a data only cable for connecting the docking station with a host computer. Specifically, I believe this issue has to deal with the lack of charging that the docking station would provide when using this type of cable. Additionally, we would expect that the display one connection on the back of the docking station would not be able to work as well.

If you are unsure of which type of USB-C cable you are currently using to connect the docking station, we would suggest try a cable rated for Thunderbolt 3 or 4 connectivity.

Thank you for giving us a chance to help.

Richard A
Plugable Technologies
https://plugable.com/support

Thanks for the quick reply, yes I am using the cable that came with the system. It had no issues charging and working perfectly with 3 displays for over a year. To answer your question, yes it is display one that is not working correctly.

I plan on trying the full reset the user above us mentioned, but I have tried a full reset a few times already. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Doing a reset may definitely be helpful with this issue. If you do continue having issues after the reset, however, we may need to look deeper into some log files and other options.

If the reset does not work, please keep the dock connected to your system (even though not working) and send the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug → http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug to us directly via support@plugable.com with ‘For Ticket 416886’ in the subject line. This will allow us match things up and examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

Please also include your Amazon Order ID number for the docking station purchase in your direct email. Please do not post the Order ID or the PlugDebug file in our public forum.

Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Richard A
Plugable Technologies

Unfortunately, I cannot download PlugDebug due to restrictions from our IT team. I will see if I can get a short-term exception to trouble-shoot this, otherwise I’ll just keep that (really helpful) additional monitor offline.

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

I did want to clarify that there are other steps that we can definitely look into, but because they require accessing potentially sensitive personal information of yours, we would prefer to do so in a public forum.

As such, we would still like to continue troubleshooting with you if you could email us via support@plugable.com with ‘For Ticket 416886’ in the subject line.

While, log files can definitely be helpful to Quickly ascertain what the issue is in these cases, there are many other things that we can look into.

Thank you for giving us a chance to help.

Richard A
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.