Charge host computer?

I understand that ports 1 and 7 charge connected devices, but will the hub charge the host computer?

And question #2: Does this come with a type-C host cable? If not, which cable is compatible?

…Now that I’m viewing all Plugable’s hubs, can any Plugable 3.0 hub charge the host computer (like the AVOTCH, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06…)?

Hi There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us! I would be happy to answer your questions.

The USB3-Hub7-81X cannot charge individual host systems due to USB 3.0 not having the capabilities to provide Power Delivery. It also does not include a USB-C host cable, only a USB-B to USB-A cable.

We currently to do not carry any Hubs or USB 3.0 Docking stations that will charge port provide Power Delivery to the connected host.

I hope this information helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns, and I would be more than happy to assist! Feel free to contact us directly at support@plugable.com

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Well, the information does help a little bit, and usually Plugable support is outstanding, you just happened to provide erroneous information (i.e. USB 3.0 not having the capabilities to provide Power Delivery) and no answer to my question, “which cable is compatible?” See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0… for USB 3.0 power specifications, “USB 3.0 provides power at 5 volts nominal”.

Hi There,

Thank you so much for replying back. USB 3.0 provides “USB based power” but Power Delivery or (PD 1.0, 2.0, 3.0) is an entirely different subset technology, and is defined by newer features available in USB 3.1 (which is not the same as USB 3.0). You can read more information regarding charging host systems, which is the key in the question you asked, here -> https://www.arrow.com/en/research-and… (PD 2.0)

This individual hub does support BC 1.2, but the individual connected USB device has to support BC 1.2, and be able to charge at a rate of 900mAh.

I apologize for overshadowing the individual cable question, but I wanted to make sure I set the expectation that our individual USB 3.0 hubs and docking stations do not provide Power Delivery to the connected host system. The USB3-HUB7-81X does not include a Type-C to USB-B cable, and only includes a USB-B to USB-A cable. There is no cable that can be used in unison with the USB3-HUB7-81X that will allow you to charge the host system when connected.

I hope this information helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns, and I would be more than happy to assist.

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support

Ah, yes, my bad, you are correct: USB 3.0 does not support Power Delivery. I have corrected the Wikipedia statement of

“USB 3.0 ports may also implement other USB specifications for increased power, including the USB Battery Charging Specification for up to 1.5 A or 7.5 W, or the USB Power Delivery specification for up to 100 W.[12]”

to

“USB 3.0 ports may also implement other USB specifications for increased power, including the USB Battery Charging Specification for up to 1.5 A or 7.5 W, or, ****in the case of USB 3.1,**** the USB Power Delivery specification for up to 100 W.[12]”

And, yes, it was completely reasonable for you to gloss over the cable question once we determined that the hub won’t work for what I want anyway.

Plugable support to the rescue once again!

Thanks,
Roel

Hi Roel,

Fantastic! I appreciate you helping with rectifying specific information regarding USB 3.0 capabilities. It can be such a confusing topic, due to specific regulatory guidelines and protocols. Normally, when we speak of Power Delivery, we will capitalize the words, and include (PD 2.0) or (PD 3.0) afterwards, so that it is not confused with basic USB power delivery, as it has its own standards and specific regulations.

Having individual customers who ask the right questions and utilize the right information is great to see, and I appreciate you taking the time to work through this with us.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us directly at support@plugable.com, and we would be more than happy to assist!

Thank you for your time,
Marc
www.plugable.com/support