Can't install com.prolific.driver.PL2303 (2.0)

I am on OSX 10.14.1

I think I installed an older version, 1.6.3. I followed the directoins for removing it, but it doesn’t seem to go away after reboot and re-install of the 2.0 driver

kextstat |grep prolif
186 0 0xffffff7f85f3d000 0x7000 0x7000 com.prolific.driver.PL2303 (1.6.3) E55010C7-C7DD-36D8-AE20-E050E3AFCB2B <84 54 6 5 3>

screen only works once and then locks up. cu will start and exit multiple times.

But no matter what I use, nothing seems to get through to the serial console of the appliance I’m attempting to connect too. I have been able to verify the console is working through another device. But I need to take this appliance out to a remote site and ensure I can get console access while there.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and happy to help!

The Prolific USB Serial Driver 1.6.3 can be fully removed by performing the following:
Open a terminal ( Applications > Utilities > Terminal ) and type in or copy the following commands:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ProlificUSBSerial.kext
sudo rm -rf /var/db/receipts/*PL2303*.*
sudo rm -rf /var/db/receipts/*ProlificUSBSerial*.*

When these have completed please restart the computer, the Serial adapter should now be not working on the system and not detected when running the command:

ls /dev/tty.usb*

This should return no results.

Finally install the latest Prolific USB Serial Driver: https://plugable.s3.amazonaws.com/bin/PL2303/PL2303HXD_G_Driver_v2_0_0_20191204.zip

This should resolve the issues with the serial adapter not being detected after the first connection is closed as well as an issue with multiple serial adapters on the same computer. We have seen issues with cu and screen locking up with macOS Mojave and Catalina that are unrelated to the serial adapter driver and it appears to be a problem with some of the serial connection software. The lock ups were verified without the serial adapter driver installed on the system. Additionally Catalina includes built-in support for this adapter and the separate driver is no longer needed when upgrading to Catalina ( 10.15.3 ).

Please let me know if this helps, or if you have any additional questions.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

I removed all the files and directories listed, rebooted, and updated to 10.14.6 (corporate overwatch won’t seem to let me upgrade to 10.15.x). I have not re-installed the driver.

Just to show everything is gone:
:~ root# ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/ProlificUSBSerial.kext
ls: /System/Library/Extensions/ProlificUSBSerial.kext: No such file or directory
:~ root# ls -l /var/db/receipts/PL2303.*
ls: /var/db/receipts/PL2303.: No such file or directory
:~ root# ls -l /var/db/receipts/ProlificUSBSerial.

ls: /var/db/receipts/ProlificUSBSerial.*: No such file or directory

Again, I have not reinstalled the driver, but if I plug the USB-Serial Controller D back in,
kextstat |grep prolif
190 0 0xffffff7f85a74000 0x7000 0x7000 com.prolific.driver.PL2303 (1.6.3) E55010C7-C7DD-36D8-AE20-E050E3AFCB2B <79 56 6 5 3>

It is still there.

Hi,

That is very strange, there should be no other locations for the driver file.

We can search the system for the Prolific drivers by performing the following:
Open a terminal ( Applications > Utilities > Terminal ) and type in or copy the following commands

sudo find /System/Library/Extensions -type f -iname "*prolific*"

This will locate all files with “prolific” in the name, ignoring capitalization, in the directory path /System/Library/Extensions and all sub-directories. Please let me know what this returns, if nothing we can also try:

sudo find / -type f -iname "*prolific*kext"

This will take longer but should return all kext files ( kernel extension files ) with prolific in the name, ignoring capitalization, on the whole computer.

Please feel free to paste the output of these commands to your reply, or to a text file if you don’t want them visible and let me know if there were any files found or not and we can go from there.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies