Cannot Get 3840x1080 Resolution with Samsung LC49HG90DMUXEN 49" Curved 1ms Ultra Wide 144Hz Monitor

Hi,

I have just purchased a Triple Display USB-C Docking Station and am connecting my Macbook (12" Retina) through the station (HDMI) to my new Samsung Super Ultrawide monitor. However, I am unable to get the full resolution on the monitor - 3840x1080. The maximum I can get using the HDMI 2k port is 2560x1080.

If I connect my Macbook directly to the monitor using a USB-C to HDMI adapter I am able to get this full resolution.

I have downloaded and installed the DisplayLink drivers as directed but this has made no difference.

Can you help please?

Hi John,

Thanks for contacting us. Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be happy to assist you.

You’ll need to use the HDMI 4K port on the dock to display at 3840x1080 as the 2K port is just that, 2K maximum resolution!

Once swapped to the HDMI 4K port, you should be able to run at 3840x1080, but please keep in mind that it will only operate at 30Hz and not the 144Hz the monitor is capable of. This is due to bandwidth limitations of USB-C and will affect all USB-C docks like ours.

If this will not work for you, we can always accept a return for a full refund if purchased from us on Amazon or eBay, just contact us directly at support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to assist you!

Thank you,
Joshua Henry
Plugable Technologies

Hi Josh,

I was using the 2K port because the 4K port was giving me even less resolution!

Is the problem that the Macbook is actually using a Thunderbolt port rather than USB-C? Because, as I said, I can get the full resolution using a Kanaan adapter (USB-C to HDMI).

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply!

That’s unexpected to be sure. We use these docks here with our MacBooks and MacBook Pro systems with and without Thunderbolt 3 and 2K+ resolutions over the 4K port work as expected in most cases.

Do you happen to know what resolution you were seeing from our dock over 4K with your monitor? That might give us a clue as to what might be going on here!

Thanks,
Josh

HI!,
I’ve been digging for a solution to a similar problem. I actually have 4 of these monitors (feel free to be jealous), and am using/want to use them with my Dell Precision 7720 laptop. The problem is that the laptop’s internal video will only support up to three external monitors (It’s an internal video card issue, not just a port issue, as I have a Dell dock with two HDMI connectors, and the laptop itself has both a mini-displaylink and an HDMI connector, but it just won’t support more than three external monitors, no matter what (sigh). I even tried adding a Dell USB-C dock/port expander, in addition to the existing dock.)

In any case, I set out to solve this problem by obtaining an external USB->HDMI video solution. Subsequently, I’ve tried two different ones, and neither supports the 3840x1080 resolution of the monitor. The best I’ve been able to do to-date is a USB32HD2 from StarTech, which forces the monitor to display at a ‘compressed’ 3840x2160 (on the 4K port). This is ‘working’ but I’d really prefer to have all four external monitors at the same resolution.

Does this dock categorically support 3840x1080 resolution? And does it have actual video hardware, like the other various USB->HDMI converters, or is it passing through traffic to the laptop’s internal video card, like the Dell dock I’m using?

Thanks