Can these be used on a Dell Power Edge 1950

Hi,

I have a Dell Power Edge 1950 server, which only has a on-board VGA card. I am trying to use this server as a desktop and was looking for a better graphics card than the on-board one. My question is, can I use “Plugable UGA-2K-A USB 2.0” or “UGA-165 USB 2.0” for this purpose?

Photoshop/Lightroom is the software I am planning to use.

Thanks in advance.
Satish

Hi Satish,

Unfortunately, no, the ATI ES1000 graphics chip on the Dell Power Edge 1950 is not WDDM capable (that’s the new Windows graphics driver model first introduced in Vista), and WDDM is a requirement for any DisplayLink-based device to work on Vista or Win7 (on these OSes, the USB adapter uses the main GPU for rendering updated pixels).

This requirement normally not a problem (nearly all laptops and desktops sold in the last 4-5 years meet it), but on some dedicated server machines, such as this one, the bare minimum GPU is provided with the system, and it’s not enough.

Sorry we don’t have happier news for re-purposing that rackmount server as a client, but thanks for asking ahead, so we could save you the annoyance of finding it doesn’t work.

Thank you!
Bernie

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for you reply. I bought a PCI-E x1 graphics card for the same server I mentioned, but I am not able to use it, there is no display from that graphics card. Drivers are fine, no conflicts, device manager shows it as working. I am working with that graphics driver support.

Now, can Plugable UGA-2K-A USB 2.0" or “UGA-165 USB 2.0” use the GPU I added for display?

Thanks in advance,
Satish