Can Plugable UD-3900 be used with desktop

Hello,

I have been using the Plugable UD-3900 for several years with two laptops, and have been very happy with it. I now want to substitute one of the laptops with a desktop.

My desktop system builder has informed me that Alt-mode is usually not supported on desktops, and that I won’t be able to use the Plugable. Is this correct?

Sorry if the question has already been asked, I didn’t find anything using the search.

Many thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting!

The Plugable UD-3900 docking station → https://plugable.com/products/ud-3900 is based on DisplayLink USB video technology. This means that the dock is compatible with most modern Windows and Mac PCs that have at least one USB 3.0 Type-A port available to which the dock can connect.

The dock does not use USB-C Alt Mode video technology, which means it is not a requirement for the host PC to have that capability in order to use the UD-3900.

As a result, we would expect that the UD-3900 will work in conjunction with your desktop PC so long as the desktop has at least one USB 3.0 Type-A port available.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.