Can I use the UD-6950H hub to connect to two Dell U2718Q 4K monitors?

I’ve been trying to google around to figure this out, but I wanted to be sure before I bought anything…

I have a laptop with an HDMI out, and 2 USB 3.0 outs, and I have 2 U2718Q monitors. My impression from these boards is that I cannot daisy chain the two monitors, but that I can buy a hub that takes one cable from the laptop, and has two cables going out to each monitor.

I was looking at the UD-6950H, and I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything in using that for my configuration.

Thanks.

Hi Anish,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am happy to help!

Based on Dell’s product page for these monitors it looks like they do not support DisplayPort MST for daisy chaining the displays, each will require a separate connection to the computer or docking station.

Our USB 3.0 Dual 4K Display Horizontal Docking Station UD-6950H ( https://plugable.com/products/ud-6950h ) may be a good solution for these displays. This docking station supports two external monitors up to 4K UHD ( 3840x2160 ) resolution, using DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 2.0. Additionally, this docking station has six USB 3.0 ports, gigabit Ethernet, 3.5mm stereo headphone output, and 3.5mm mono microphone input. Please note, this docking station does not power or charge the battery of the connected computer and we recommend using the computer’s original power supply while connected to the docking station for optimal performance.

We recommend our USB 3 4K docking stations for use with office and web browsing software. The USB 3 connection has reduced bandwidth compared to native HDMI or DisplayPort, additionally the DisplayLink software graphics has reduced support for hardware graphics acceleration than a native display connection on the system. Displays connected to the docking station will not be well suited for 2D or 3D graphics applications, full screen video playback, video editing software, or stock trading applications. We do not support gaming with our USB 3 docking stations connected to the computer.

Please let me know if this sounds like it will meet your needs, if not please feel free to let me know the manufacturer name and model number of your computer and I can check to see if it will be compatible with any of our other graphics adapters or docking stations that may provide for improved graphics performance.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology

1 Like

Very helpful and informative, thanks. I just ordered the UD-6950H off amazon.

Thanks.

Hi Anish,

You’re welcome! Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions, either through this forum or through email, we are happy to help!

I will go ahead and close this thread and mark it as solved.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

1 Like