Can I use Plugable usb 3.0 to DisplayPort 4K Video Graphics Adapter with usb 2.0 for 2K resolution?

What is the maximum resolution for Plugable USB 3.0 to DisplayPort 4K UHD Video Graphics Adapter if I use USB 2.0 port? Can I reach 2560x1440 @60Hz without troubles?
I’m using Dell U2515H monitor.

Hi Kennedy,

Thanks for posting. I’d be happy to answer your question!

While our UGA-4KDP adapter is backward compatible with USB 2.0, performance at any resolution higher than 1920 x 1080 when connected via USB 2.0 would more than likely be unacceptable. As our adapters depend on the CPU and the internal graphics adapter in your system, a system that only has USB 2.0 ports available may also provide unacceptable performance.

We don’t mean to sound negative, but we like to set honest expectations up front to prevent frustration down the line. Let us know if that information helps and we’ll go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Bob,

Thanks for replying. I understand what you mean, my system has an i7-2630QM CPU and GPU is AMD HD6570M, so the problem is the bandwidth of USB 2.0 or the hardware wasn’t strong enough?

Hi Kennedy,

Given your system specs, the limiting factor will be the USB 2.0 bandwidth. As you mention you want to reach 2560 x 1440@60Hz without troubles, I don’t think our adapter will perform well in this case.

Thank you,

Bob