Can I use NVIDIA card AND Plugable virtual display driver?

My desktop currently has a two monitor set up using an NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT card. I want to add an additional two monitors and purchased the Plugable hardware to do such. However, I’m guessing that I have to either use the virtual display driver for the plugable hardware for all 4 displays. Can I use the NVIDIA card for the primary 2 displays and the Plugable virtual display driver and hardware for the secondary 2 displays?

Hi Shane,

Thanks for posting. I’d be happy to answer you question.

Our USB video adapters are all based on DisplayLink technology. In order to use the adapters, you must install the latest version of the DisplayLink driver software. This driver works in conjunction with your CPU and your GPU (in this case your Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT card) drivers to drive the additional displays. They must work together (a generic Microsoft Display Driver would not work for example), and the DisplayLink driver must always be installed to make use of the adapters.

In short, you don’t install one driver or the other, they both have to be installed.

Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Bob, thank you for your quick reply. I do have both video adapters installed (NVIDIA and DisplyLink) and verified that I have the latest versions for both.

When I go in to the display set-up screen, the system recognizes the display that is connected using the Plugable USB hardware that I installed. However, rather than using the DisplayLink adapter, it’s using the NVIDIA adapter and either stays in sleep mode or duplicates my 2nd primary display (it shows up and is recognized as my 3rd display however). After several reboots, it seems to want to simply stay in sleep mode.

I guess I just need to figure out how to get it to run off the DisplayLink adapter and not the NVIDIA adapter.

Hi Shane,

In device manager, the adapters should be displaying under USB Display Adapters and each device should be showing the DisplayLink driver (here is an example from one of my test systems):

!](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1151590/MultiplePlugableAdaptersDeviceManager_inline.jpg?1423075262)](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1151590/MultiplePlugableAdaptersDeviceManager.jpg?1423075262)

In the Screen Resolution application, each monitor connected via a USB adapter will show that the driver is the main GPU in the system (as that is what is driving it). In this example, I have selected monitor ‘3’ and opened the properties by right-clicking on the monitor itself and selecting ‘Properties’. It shows the driver as the Intel HD graphics:

!](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1151594/NineDisplayScreenResolutionwithdriverinfo_inline.jpg?1423075518)](https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1151594/NineDisplayScreenResolutionwithdriverinfo.jpg?1423075518)

This behavior is normal and expected. It sounds like you may be running into an issue with sleep behavior. Are your NVIDIA drivers up to date?

The best way to move forward would be to get more details about your setup and the exact behavior you are seeing. If you would please send an email to support@plugable.com and we can go from there.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Bob,

We’re making some good progress. You may be able to just quickly answer this question for me. I have 3 of my 4 monitors working. Started the day with 0. Question is this…if I’m running two monitors off of USB 3, can I plug them into two different USB ports or do I have to come off one port with a hub and plug the two monitors in the hub. That might seem like a stupid question but it’s the last thing I can think of. I figured it didn’t matter, but maybe it does.

Hi Shane,

Thanks for getting back and providing an update. I’m glad we are making progress. No question is silly in my opinion, not asking any questions at all is :slight_smile:

You can plug the adapters into individual USB ports or ports on a hub. To the system (and the adapters) it shouldn’t matter. If you move things around the system will re-detect the adapters but they should work regardless of where you plug them in. There instances where a hub that isn’t working properly or not supplying enough power can cause problems, but for now let’s assume all the hardware is up to spec.

Thanks,

Bob
Plugable Technologies