Can I run a Closed MacBook Pro with a Apple 20 inch Cinema Dislay & 2 Dell Flatscreen Monitors?

I have a MacBook Pro, a Apple 20 inch Cinema Display & 2 Dell Flat Screen Monitors…

I am running the Apple Cinema Display Screen via the Mini DVI Port on my MacBook Pro with the lid closed… I have 1 of the Dell Flat Screens running to the left of this with my DisplayLink Plugable which is connected to a Powered USB hub.

I am wondering if I purchased another DisplayLink Plugable UGA-2K-A & attached it to my right Dell Flat Screen Monitor via the powered USB hub if I can run my Apple Cinema Display & 2 Dell Flat Screens together without any problems?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I’d be happy to answer your question regarding our USB displays on OS X.

It really depends on which version of OS X you are currently using.

If you are using Mavericks, then I would recommend against using any additional monitors. Mavericks has some serious issues when it comes to any multiple monitor setup with more than 2+ monitors.

If you are using 10.8.5, then you should be able to use an additional UGA-2K-A without too much trouble. Just keep in mind, adding additional monitors may cause issues as these displays are completely virtual and are rendered solely on the CPU.

Regards,

Stephen
Plugable Technologies