can i connect a usb printer directly to the docking station

I have a UD-3900 docking station. I am trying to connect the printer directly to a USB port on the docking station, but the printer only shows up as an unknown “USB Composite Device”.

Can I connect the printer to the docking station or does it have to be directly connected to the computer?

Hello Rod,

Thanks for posting. I’m sorry to hear you’re having an issue with your printer, but I’m here to help. Typically you see “USB Composite Device” when Windows doesn’t recognize the device, and Windows 10 can be very particular when it comes to printers. So with that in mind I’d like to get a little more information if that’s ok.

Which version of WIndows are you using?

Is this a new computer, or did you recently upgrade your Operating System?

Is this a new printer, or have you used it previously on this computer?

What is the make and model of the printer?

Finally, we have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug your dock into your computer (printer plugged into the dock), then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

I’ve created a ticket for your issue, so once you get that file you can email it to support@Plugable.com and use “Ticket 165828” in the subject line so we can match everything up. I will then limit our conversation to the direct email thread to keep everything in one place and then update this forum thread with what we may find.

Thanks!