Can a Plugable adapter display higher than my laptops resolution?

I have an AROUS laptop with Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 GDDR6 8GB and a 1080p display. The 3080 can chip can display at much higher resolutions. The AROUS has a Thunderbolt port.

If I attach a Plugable adapter or dock can I display 1 or 2 higher res monitors at higher than 1080p?

I’d like to extend the life of my laptop.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I’ll be happy to help with your question.

The maximum resolution of the monitors connected to a docking station isn’t determined by the resolution of the display of the monitor built into your laptop. Instead, the maximum resolution available to a docking station mainly depends on the specifications of the model of docking station.

In short, yes! You should be able to achieve higher resolutions by using a docking station as long as the docking station supports those higher resolutions.

I’d be happy to recommend a docking station for your specific setup as well. If you’re interested in this, can you please provide some additional information about your setup:

1. What is the specific model number of your laptop? This information will usually be printed on the label on the bottom of the computer.
  2. What is the brand and specific model number of the display(s) you wish to use? This will usually be printed on the label on the back of each display.

Please let me know if you have any questions as well. Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Sam
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for the personal response. Your recommendation for a docking station would be appreciated. I like the fact that ethernet is included in the dick.

my laptop:
Aorus 17G KB-8US2130MH - 17.3" Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7-10875H, GeForce RTX 2060, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home

Current dual monitors:
Acer VG281-K resolution 3840 X 2160 recommended. HDMI and DisplayPort capable

I would like to move to 28" 120Hz or 144Hz monitors in the future

Hi Paul,

Thanks for providing that information.

For these parts I’d recommend TBT3-UDZ: https://plugable.com/products/tbt3-udz

TBT3-UDZ is a Thunderbolt 3 docking station which would connect to your laptop’s Thunderbolt 3 port using its included 80cm cable. It provides the ability to connect two 4K 60Hz displays to the dock’s two video output groups. Each video output group offers the choice of HDMI or DisplayPort connectors.

It also features five 5Gbps USB ports, one 10Gbps USB port, one 10Gbps USB-C port, SD & Micro SD card readers, a wired Gigabit Ethernet port, and a combination 3.5mm analog audio jack for headphone or headsets.

Please note that this dock only offers up to 96W of USB-C Power Delivery which is likely not enough to charge this laptop since it normally comes with a 240W charger, and the laptop’s specifications don’t mention having the ability to charge through its Thunderbolt 3 port. It’s also worth mentioning that the maximum supported refresh rate for displays connected to TBT3-UDZ is 60Hz.

I unfortunately wasn’t able to see within the laptop’s specifications if its supports dual displays over Thunderbolt. One of the quirks of Thunderbolt 3 is that it may support one or two display outputs depending on how the manufacturer implements the Thunderbolt port on the specific model of computer. It may be worth contacting Gigabyte to confirm if the laptop supports dual displays over Thunderbolt to confirm.

With all that said, should you elect to move forward with a Plugable purchase and find that the product does not meet your needs, we do offer a 30-day no-hassle return policy for all products sold by Plugable and fulfilled by Amazon.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions, and thank you for your giving us the chance to help

Sam
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.