I just purchased a Plugable UB-3900 docking station and am going to use a Dell Inspiron Laptop, I am only going to hook up one monitor to it and want to keep the laptop closed, is this possible. I understand the laptop will have to remain on at all times for the most part. Thanks
Thanks for getting in touch!
In most cases, this is possible. It’s generally referred to as “clamshell” mode. What we have to do is stop your machine from going to sleep when the laptop lid is closed, and set one of your external monitors to primary. Here’s how:
Disable sleep on lid close:
- Press the Windows key, then type “lid” and press enter
- In the row labeled “When I close the lid:”, select “Do nothing” in the second drop-down box
- Click “Save changes” and close that window
Set external display as primary
- Press the Windows key, then type “display” and press enter
- In the top box that represents your physical layout, select the display you would like to be your “main” display (anything besides #1)
- Scroll down to the “Multiple Displays” heading, and check the box labeled “Make this my main display”
You should now be able to close your laptop lid and still have active displays. Your display space should automatically adjust to only include two monitors, and you can verify that from the display settings window.
Thanks Sam, Obviously I need to spend a little more time with my darn spell check. I will give this a shot when I decide to get this hooked up. Seems pretty straight forward. It is actually a UD-3900 and I plan on using not suing
I haven’t heard back from you, so I’m hoping you were able to get this set up to suit your needs. If not, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance!