Buzzing noise through speakers when Plugable is plugged into USB port.

I have just linked up my Plugable USB 2.0 UGA to my Mac Book Pro via the USB to a VGA Dell Monitor. For some reason there is a buzzing noise coming through my speakers once the monitor comes on. I have my speakers plugged directly into the Mac Book & only a 7 port USB hub attached to the 2nd USB port. When I unplug the Plugable the buzzing stops.

Does anybody know a solution to this problem?

Kind regards,

Gavin

Hi Gavin-

Thanks for posting with your question, and sorry to hear about the buzzing from your speakers.

Most of the time we hit this issue it’s due to an audio cable being too close to an AC electric power cable. Taking care to route your audio cable where it is furthest away (and not crossing, or especially wrapped up with) from any power cables may help.

Please let us know if re-routing the audio cable helps or if we’ll need to dive in a bit deeper on this one.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for your response.

I have switched the leads on the monitors & also ensured that the audio lead isn’t coming into contact with any power leads but the buzzing noise is still occurring? I have also noticed that when I drag a window on my screen that is functioning from the Plugable that the buzzing noise is accompanied with like a rumbling distortion noise also?

I’m really happy with how additional monitor set up but this buzzing is becoming very irritating!

Kind regards,

Gavin

Hi Gavin-

Thanks for double-checking on cables and sorry to hear this didn’t help. As I’m sure you know, the behavior you describe is both unique and unexpected- thanks for your patience as we troubleshoot.

As we dig in it would be helpful to know exactly which model of USB graphics device you have- or you can just shoot an email with your Amazon order ID to support@plugable.com with a link to this thread and I can look it up.

Next, I’d like to make sure I’m understanding how everything is connected and try to rule out any potential USB power related issues. If I’m understanding correctly the USB graphics adapter is connected directly to your MacBook Pro (MBP) and you’re also connecting the external speakers via a “headphone” style 3.5mm auxillary audio cable (not USB?) directly to your MBP. Please let me know if any of that doesn’t sound right. I’m wanting to understand more about the speakers (these are separate from the monitor?) and how they’re connected.

I’m hoping that we might resolve the issue by making sure all the USB devices have adequate power, so double-checking that any hubs are powered properly could help.

If you can share a little more detail about the particular devices involved (model numbers are most helpful) I’m hopeful about finding a quick fix by changing connections, and if we can’t find something quickly that way we’ll be glad to try swapping out a pre-tested replacement to rule out faulty hardware.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies