Built-in display + 2 external monitors on Lenovo T430 with intel HD 4000?

I have a Lenovo T430 laptop (2.6 Ghz i5, 8G RAM, 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0, intel HP4000 graphics, MiniDisplayPort) in a dock (6 more USB 2.0, 2 x DVI/DisplayPort). I am currently using the laptop’s built-in display (1600x900) and an external monitor (1680x1050, DVI). I would like to add another external monitor (1920x1080). When I tried adding another external monitor (1650x1080, DVI) it would let me use either the two external monitors or one of the external monitors and the built-in display, but not all three. Can I get all three by using one of your USB adaptersattached to a 1920x1080 monitor? Is there any performance difference between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0? I currently have no USB 3.0 connections; would using the USB 3.0 adapter keep from degrading performance for all devices by keeping the USB buses separate?

Thanks,
Travis

Hi Travis-

Thanks for posting with your question! The quick/short answer is that our USB graphics adapters might work for your scenario.

To be able to provide accurate advice, I’ll need a few more details:

1. What Windows version (Vista/7/8 and 32 or 64 bit) does your laptop run?
    There are a few Windows 8 specific issues detailed here, earlier versions should be no issue: http://plugable.com/2012/10/27/window…

2. What is the exact/extended model number of your laptop?
    T430 is an entire series from Lenovo, there should be a “t430-12345” type longer number that will help me identify particular hardware components in different T430’s.

3. What is the model number of the dock you’re using?
    Some Lenovo docking stations have their own GPU (NVidia Optimus) and will not work with USB graphics devices.

With these extra details I think we may be able to recommend a product that will work for you, however I want to be certain before making recommendation.

Again, thanks for posting with your question!

Best wishes and Happy Holidays!

Jeff Everett
MCITP Enterprise Support Tech
Plugable Technologies

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for getting back to me so fast.

The Windows part is easy: It’s Windows 7 Enterprise, 64 bits.

The hardware is harder, as there aren’t very many model numbers visible. So I’ll give you a dump of everything I could find.

The computer says “T430” on the front panel (on the hinge below the display). Under the battery there’s a sticker that says “Type 2349-G5U” and a serial number, then “12/09”. That’s it. This computer has two USB 3.0 ports, a Mini Display Port, a headphone jack, a VGA connector, an Ethernet port, two USB ports (no distinguishing marks, so I assume 2.0), and a little slide switch that’s labeled with a tiny icon that looks like a computer with sound waves coming out the sides (so maybe a speaker on/off switch??).

The dock says “ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3” and has a label that says “Type 4338”. There are other labels that say things like “4338 M2N7MT7 11/08” and “P/N 75Y5730”. I think this is the older of the Type 4338 docks, as it doesn’t seem to have USB 3.0 ports and it does have an eSATA port. The ports it has are: VGA, eSATA, six USB (2.0) ports, an Ethernet port, two paired DVI/DisplayPort ports, a mic port and a headphone port.

The built-in LCD display on this laptop is 1600 x 900, and the Device Manager says that the only display adapter is an Intel HD Graphics 4000. I don’t see any signs of any nVidia hardware. I currently have an elderly (but still very good) 20" Apple Cinema display (1680 x 1050) attached to one of the DVI ports on the dock. I have just bought an LG E2342V 23" monitor (1920 x 1080) that has DVI and VGA connectors. (I’m hoping to use the digital port.) When I tried my wife’s ViewSonic 1680 x 1050 (DVI) monitor earlier today, I was able to get both external monitors to work but no built-in display, or the built-in display plus my Apple monitor (as I’ve been using all along), but not all three displays at once. I’m hoping that one of your boxes will let me attach my new 1920 x 1080 monitor via a USB port without causing the other displays to go crazy. (Otherwise I’ll just hook up the two external monitors; but I’d like to take advantage of the built-in screen if I can—more pixels are always better.)

I hope that somewhere in there is the information you need. Otherwise I’ll have to get out a wrecking bar. Let me know if you need anything more.

Thanks much,
Travis

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for getting back to me so fast.

The Windows part is easy: It’s Windows 7 Enterprise, 64 bits.

The hardware is harder, as there aren’t very many model numbers visible. So I’ll give you a dump of everything I could find.

The computer says “T430” on the front panel (on the hinge below the display). Under the battery there’s a sticker that says “Type 2349-G5U” and a serial number, then “12/09”. That’s it. This computer has two USB 3.0 ports, a Mini Display Port, a headphone jack, a VGA connector, an Ethernet port, two USB ports (no distinguishing marks, so I assume 2.0), and a little slide switch that’s labeled with a tiny icon that looks like a computer with sound waves coming out the sides (so maybe a speaker on/off switch??).

The dock says “ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3” and has a label that says “Type 4338”. There are other labels that say things like “4338 M2N7MT7 11/08” and “P/N 75Y5730”. I think this is the older of the Type 4338 docks, as it doesn’t seem to have USB 3.0 ports and it does have an eSATA port. The ports it has are: VGA, eSATA, six USB (2.0) ports, an Ethernet port, two paired DVI/DisplayPort ports, a mic port and a headphone port.

The built-in LCD display on this laptop is 1600 x 900, and the Device Manager says that the only display adapter is an Intel HD Graphics 4000. I don’t see any signs of any nVidia hardware. I currently have an elderly (but still very good) 20" Apple Cinema display (1680 x 1050) attached to one of the DVI ports on the dock. I have just bought an LG E2342V 23" monitor (1920 x 1080) that has DVI and VGA connectors. (I’m hoping to use the digital port.) When I tried my wife’s ViewSonic 1680 x 1050 (DVI) monitor earlier today, I was able to get both external monitors to work but no built-in display, or the built-in display plus my Apple monitor (as I’ve been using all along), but not all three displays at once. I’m hoping that one of your boxes will let me attach my new 1920 x 1080 monitor via a USB port without causing the other displays to go crazy. (Otherwise I’ll just hook up the two external monitors; but I’d like to take advantage of the built-in screen if I can—more pixels are always better.)

I hope that somewhere in there is the information you need. Otherwise I’ll have to get out a wrecking bar. Let me know if you need anything more.

Thanks much,
Travis

Hi Travis-

Looks like this has all the details I need, reviewing now, will post an actual response shortly.

Best-

JE

Hi again Travis-

So long as I’ve understood your products correctly, this should be workable. Details below…

Laptop is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product…

Dock is this: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detai…

According to the dock info page above: ThinkPad systems with integrated graphics, or other discrete graphics: Up to two monitors can be attached and the ThinkPad display is disabled (ThinkPad display is blank).

As I understand you’re able to use only one of the display outputs on the dock without using your laptop display?

If this is correct, connecting the 2nd external display through our adapter, connected via the dock, should work. I would recommend the UGA-165 or the UGA-2K-A if you think you’ll ever try and connect a display with a resolution above 1920x1080 (UGA 165 maxes out at 1920x1080).

UGA-165: http://plugable.com/products/UGA-165
UGA-2K-A: http://plugable.com/products/UGA-2K-A

We’ve seen some odd behavior out of these Lenovo docks before, however that seems to have been only on another model where the NVidia Optimus chip was built into the dock. Should you have issues with the setup please let us know, and keep in mind we have a no-questions-asked 30 day return timeframe via Amazon if we can’t get you running normally.

I hope this helps (and sorry for the long answer) but please let me know if you’ve any other questions.

Best-

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for being thorough.

I’ve ordered a UGA-165, and I should know whether it works in a few days. I’ll let you know.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Travis

Thanks Travis,

Happy Holidays!

Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

Works very nicely.

Thanks, guys.

Cheers,
Travis

Wonderful. Glad to have you up and running with a good solution for your setup. Thanks for letting us know!

Happy holidays,
Bernie

Can I connect 3 displays with built in display, 1 VGA Monitor and one Display port adapter x VGA on Dock?

Yes, no problem on Windows. The dock isn’t recommended on Mac at this time (pending Apple fixes, hopefully in Mavericks).

I have the hardware but isnt working, when I activate the third device, nothing happens…

Hi Jeff, I have same computer with this dock.

can i use the dock vga and dvi and your UGA-2K-A . to have three extended monitors. your post above talks about 2.

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product…

Hi Andrew-

Thanks for asking, but unfortunately definitely NO.

Using our DisplayLink based USB graphics adapters with any other docking solution will cause problems, and is not recommended or supported in any way. If you’d like to add additional displays, add additional USB graphics adapters, up to a max of 6 USB displays.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, hope the details help.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies