Broken audio with UD-CA1A

I’ve been using a Plugable UD-CA1A docking station for a while now, and while the audio worked fine at first, it stopped working a few months ago. I suspect it breaking down after a Windows Update.

When playing audio (tried with various applications, such as VLC, Windows Media Player and Firefox), the audio sounds as if the headphone jack is not plugged in properly. The reason I suspect this is a software- rather than a hardware issue, is that when I test the audio by changing the volume with the bottom-right speaker icon, the test-sound plays perfectly fine.

I’ve been trying various ways to solve this (disabling/enabling the audio driver, setting it as the default audio device, disabling all other audio drivers, restoring defaults, finding driver updates, the works.
Also note that the broken audio is the only thing malfunctioning at this point; otherwise I am perfectly satisfied. However, since the audio-jacks in the docking station were a big draw for my purchase, I hope someone can give me some advice.

Specs:
|Processor|Intel® Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz|
|Installed RAM|8.00 GB (7.84 GB usable)|
|Device ID|3BD8BECD-3780-4462-B7FA-BBD3D944834A|
|Product ID|00325-96196-52302-AAOEM|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
OS build 19042.867
Serial number PF0TBTX6
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us regarding this issue, that is very odd behavior and I am happy to help!

With the Windows test sounds (wav files) sounding normal this definitely could be software fault or setting.

If the laptop has other audio outputs or speakers, are these similarly affected, or are sounds from these outputs normal with VLC, Windows Media Player, and Firefox?

We can start by resetting the output options in case an enhancement or advance option was set causing this behavior:

1. Right-click on the sound icon in the Windows system tray ( lower right corner of the display )
  2. Select “Open Sound Settings” from the pop-up menu
  3. On the right hand side of this window, select the “Sound Control Panel” link
  4. In the new Window, Playback tab, double-click on the “Speakers USB Advanced Audio Device” or click once to select, then press the “Properties” button to open the Properties window
  5. Select the “Levels” tab
  6. Set the speaker volume to about 50%, sometimes levels closer to 100% may cause distortion
  7. Select the “Speakers” section “Balance” button, and set both sliders to the same value ( approximately 50% recommended )
  8. Select the “Enhancements” tab, then check the box to “Disable All Enhancements”
  9. Select the “Advanced” tab, select the “Restore Defaults” button
  10. This should set the “Default Format” to “24 bit, 48000Hz (Studio Quality)” from the drop down menu
  11. For headphones, please hold them off your head for this, and move closer to hear the audio Press the test button to test this setting
  12. Select the “Spacial Sound” tab, set this to “Off” from the drop down menu
  13. Please restart the computer and test the audio to see if it sounds better now

Additionally, please let me know if you are connecting a headset that has a built-in microphone and a single 3.5mm (TRRS) headset connector, or if you are using speakers, or headphones without a microphone, or with a separate microphone connector.

Thank you, I look forward to hearing back.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com