Bought on on Amazon, page for USBC-SATA-V says ASM1351E chipset, USB 3.1

However, when I interrogated my dock when connected to my Linux SuSE system, ‘lsusb’ says the dock is an ASM1153, which is a USB 3.0 chipset.

I’m returning the dock to Amazon, but would like to know how Amazon can advertise the USB 3.1 chipset model but ship the 3.0 chipset model ? The box the dock came in says USBC-SATA-V, which is the same part number as the 3.1 Gen 2 unit advertised on Amazon. To me this indicates that Plugable shipped Amazon older docks…

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Than you for contacting us, I am sorry, this is caused by ASMedia using the same hardware and vendor IDs for multiple chipsets that provide similar functionality but at different data rates.

Below is a screenshot with the USBC-SATA-V connected to an Ubuntu 23.04 host computer showing the USB 3 10Gbps root hub and the USBC-SATA-V detected as a USB 3 10Gbps device (10000M at the end of each line).

Below are performance test results using a USBC-SATA-V and Samsung 840 EVO SATA SSD:

Using the included USB-C data cable to a USB Type-C 10Gbps host port the drive can exceed 500MB/s in sequential data transfers:
USBC-SATA-V_Samsung840EVO_10Gbps

Using the included USB-C to USB-A cable and a 5Gbps USB 3 hub to limit the data rate to 5Gbps ( the computer only has 10Gbps USB ports ), the drive has reduced data rates due to both the limitations of 5Gbps and the addition of the USB 3 hub:
USBC-SATA-V_Samsung840EVO_5Gbps

USB 3 10Gbps data rates require the host computer to support USB 3 10Gbps and connecting the hard drive docking station to the computer using the included USB Type-C or Type-C to Standard-A data cable ( or a similar cable rated up to 10Gbps ). SATA III drives have a maximum data rate of 6Gbps, data throughput may be further limited by the drive used, for example spinning disk drives rarely exceed 200MBps for sustained data transfers.

Please let me know if this helps to explain what you are seeing in the lsusb command, or if you have any additional questions, and if you choose to keep the hard drive docking station please feel free to confirm the dock is detected as a USB 3 10Gbps device using the lsusb -tv command.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hi Pat,

I hooked the dock up to one of my windows machines and it reports ASM1351. So I guess the issue is because I did not ask for the ‘tree’ view with ‘lsusb’. My apologies for going off half cocked.

Will now try to do an XFS format on a Seagate EXOS ST8000NM000A so I can do an ‘rsync’ backup of the big server here at home.

Thanks for the quick and intelligent response !

Bruce McFarland

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for replying back, and no problem at all, I am glad that you can use this hard drive dock for your backup needs!

I also use this hard drive dock for periodic backups of my Linux systems normally to a Seagate Exos X16 14TB drive with rsync and have not encountered any issues.

I am going to go ahead and mark this thread as closed, please feel free to start a new thread or contact our support team directly via email at ‘support@plugable.com’ if you have any additional questions, or if there is anything else we can do to help.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com