Booting a Mac from a HD in a Plugable Dock.

Do Macs support booting from hard drives connected to the Plugable USB 3.0/2.0 SATA Hard Drive Docking Station (LucidPort Chipset)?

I know that Macs cannot boot from drives in some StarTech docks due to the chipset used.

Thanks.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your question about booting your Mac from our USB3-SATA-U3 hard drive docking station. We currently have no reports of booting Macs from our SATA dock so I can’t say for sure if it will be successful. Given the information here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1948 it looks like it should work.

Can you say a bit more about the model of Mac you have? We can do some testing to verify if it works, so the closer we can come to your set up the better our results will be.

Thanks,
Jerome.

I have a Mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro.

I am pretty sure that if one Intel Mac can boot from a drive in the dock, than all Intel Macs should be able to boot from it.

I have ordered one from Amazon and will let you know if it works. If it doesn’t, I will be returning it.

Thanks,
Adam

For those who are interested…

Adam found that he was able to boot a 2010 15" MacBook Pro and a 2012 11" MacBook Air from a disk in the Plugable USB3-SATA-U3 Hard Drive Docking Station.