blue screen of oblivion: mDP to HDMI active adapter with 11" MB Air

Hi folks, I’m trying to use the Plugable Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter to connect my 2013 Macbook Air 11" with a 2016 Hitachi LU43V809 TV. The Mac recognizes the display and I am able to select mirroring/non-mirroring and arrange the monitors in the Displays preference pane, as usual. However, the Hitachi screen is completely blue, and no content from the Mac shows up on it. Anything I try to slide over from the laptop’s screen to the TV just disappears into blue oblivion. Interestingly, sound is successfully passed through to the TV.

I understand that I may not be able to output to the Hitachi’s full (4K) resolution, and that is fine with me. But I would like to be able to at least see SOMETHING on the external monitor. Any ideas? Would I be better off with another (e.g., a passive) adapter? Is there some software setting I need to change somewhere, or a patch I need to install?

FYI, I have used this same TV and HDMI cable with a late-2013 MacBook Pro, with no issues, at 4K resolution and 30Hz refresh. I have also successfully used this same MB Air with a regular HD TV in the past.