Blue screen during installation

Just got two new Samsung 23" monitors to hook up to my Toshiba laptop. Planned to run one monitor with the HDMI cable I used before and the other with you USB 2.0 display Adapter. Blue Screen’d twice while trying ot install. I’m running Windows 7 pro on a 64 - bit machine. Also using the VGA adapter. please help.

Hi Dewey,

Thanks for posting and sorry you’ve hit this problem! We had one other report of a similar problem today, so we’d like to understand what might be happening here (a particular driver update, etc.)

So let’s get this figured out.

First step is to install the latest driver directly from DisplayLink. It’s version 5.6, available here http://displaylink.com/support/downlo…

Install the software first, then plug in the adapter after. (if the adapter is plugged in first, it will use the current Windows Update version which is the earlier 5.5 version).

Once we’ve confirmed if the 5.6 driver is fine, we’d love to go back and gather a few more pieces of info about your system, to understand what versions conflicted here and take note of that.

Thanks for your patience and let us know if you have any questions!

Bernie

Bernie, I did as you instructed and got a little further but still got the blue screen. This time it happend after getting the “screen may go dark warning” from your software and then blue screen. As I rebooted though I noticed that windows was still trying to complete the install - asking if I wanted to reboot now or later. So I uninstalled/reinstalled and then rebooted after installing the software but before plugging the UGA unit. I still got the blue screen. However, after I brought the laptop back up I plugged the UGA device in again and it worked! Definitily some kind of hickup between software installation and plugging the device in for the first time. Hope this helps. I’ll let you know if I run into any more problems.

Dewey

Hi Dewey,

We would love to get a look at what caused the earlier crashes. Luckily, there’s a log of them on your system.

If you have a chance, it’d be great if you could run the DisplayLink support tool (instructions here: http://plugable.com/support/displayli…) and email the .zip to support@plugable.com.

You may need to delete a file called memory.dmp from the .zip to keep it small enough, and that’s fine (we don’t need the full memory dump).

Only if you get the chance - thank you! And just let us know if anything else crops up - we’ll be here to help.

Thank you!
Bernie

did you ever find the problem ? I have had it blue screen on me three times during normal operation. It is my office laptop which runs Win 7 but encrypted therefore when the blue screen occurs it causes a registrty error and due to the encryption SW we use, my only option is to re image my laptop … have done this 3 times now. I have not installed the device on this new image and it has run stable now for 10 days. Kelly

Hi Kelly - That’s frustrating! And unfortunately, the encrypted drive problem means that a dump file (the log of what the error was) can’t be read … so we don’t know what problem this lines up with (it’s likely something different than the other problem that started this thread, which was at installation time). And that makes a solution difficult to be confident about.

Given the difficulty of recovering or getting additional info given the encryption SW, we obviously want to be cautious. Here’s what I’d recommend:

1. When you get a chance, could you run Windows’ built-in “msinfo32” program, and copy/paste two pages to us: a) the top level “system summary” and b) the “Components->Display” page. Email to support@plugable.com. Even without the DisplayLink software installed, perhaps we’ll see a clue in the system config.

2. Keep running without the DisplayLink software and without the hardware attached. If, over the course of a longer period of time, you don’t hit any blue screens, then we’ll assume DisplayLink’s drivers are interacting with something on the system, and we’ll have to stop there.

If we get to that, or just in general - we don’t want customers stuck with hardware that can’t work on their setup - so please feel free to email support@plugable.com with your order #, let us know what’s happening, and we’ll make things right.

Again, my apologies - this is a difficult situation!
Bernie