Blank screen when UGA-2K-A connected using DVI

I’m having an issue with my new UGA-2K-A adapter.

When connect to the monitor using a DVI cable no pictures is displayed. After I connect the cable to the adapter, the monitor immediately goes into power save mode. When I connect the adapter to the PC, it is detected and Windows registers a new monitor. However, the monitor does not display anything, it stays in power save mode. I have tested the cable and monitor using a DVI port on my video card and they both work.

Interestingly, when I connect the monitor to the UGA-2K-A using the VGA adapter, everything works perfectly. The monitor is recognized by Windows and the screen displays correctly. I currently use the VGA input on the monitor for another computer so this is not a long term solution.

Here is a description of my system:
Windows 7 64-bit
Dell 2007FP monitor, 1600x1200 resolution
Plugable UGA-2K-A

VGA -> Monitor recognized, image displayed
DVI -> Monitor recognized, NO image displayed

Thanks for the help,
-Jason

Hi JasonB,

Thanks for posting your question here, we’ll be happy to help. Is it possible for you to try the adapter on another DVI monitor? If it works there, then it’s possible it could be the cable or connection. If not, it’s most likely the adapter.

Let us know if you can do this test, and if so what the results are.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

Hi Jerome-

I connected the adapter to another monitor using a different DVI cable everything worked. Thank you for the suggestion.

It turns out that the first cable I was trying to use worked with both monitors when connected to the computer’s video card but did not work when connected to the adapter. So it appears that the problem was an incompatible DVI cable (I didn’t know that was possible). Each monitor came with its own cable, I guess some are better than others.

This really is a great product, I’ve got it working with OS X on my MacBook Pro now too.

Thank you for the help!

-Jay

Hi Jay,

Thanks for taking those additional steps. I’m glad to hear that you are up and running.

Here’s a link to a blog post you may find interesting, especially if you are planning on moving to 10.7.3.

http://plugable.com/2012/02/16/mac-os…

Enjoy!
Jerome

Plugable Technologies