Big Sur 11.2.2 Update - 4K HDMI isn't outputting (DisplayLink Manager 1.3 - 14 Feb 2021)

Everything was working fine until I updated to 11.2.2 Big Sur. Our company forced this update so I didn’t have an option. I noticed the HDMI (top) and DVI port (below the normal HDMI port) are working. There is a need to boot up Displaylink when you start the computer, which is kind of an issue but a workaround. However, I can’t get the 4K HDMI port to work with a monitor I had working. It seems to show up in the display grid but it will not display the image. Recapping - only 2 out of 3 work. I have ASUS monitors. Any idea what the issue is? Is this a driver issue with Displaylink?

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting!

Based off your report that the HDMI 4K port is not working (but the HDMI 2K port and DVI port work), that doesn’t actually suggest that the DisplayLink driver is at fault. The DisplayLink software manages the HDMI 2K port, the DVI port, audio, and Ethernet. The HDMI 4K port on the other hand relies on the native USB-C video signal outputted by the host.

To investigate this, firstly, can you confirm the original USB-C cable that came with the dock? I ask because sometimes we see a customer swap in a longer USB-C cable, but not all USB-C cables are created equally and some do not support USB-C video.

Assuming that you are using the original cable, let’s start by performing a simple power-cycle of the unit to reset its internal hub and video chipset. We’ve seen that this can often restore the dock back to a working state when one or more of its functions are not quite working. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect all USB peripherals and displays connected to the dock
  2. Disconnect docking station from host machine, then disconnect the power adapter from power
  3. Leave unplugged for 1 minute for power to dissipate
  4. Connect docking station initially into power only
  5. Connect docking station to host machine, then connect USB peripherals and the displays, then test for functionality

Please let me know if this helps at all.

Thanks for giving us a chance to help!

Mitchell

i did use the original USB-C plug that came in the box. I tried unplugging the cables (HDMI and DVI) on the back and powered it down (over a min). it ended up working so far and now all three screens are back up and running. Very interesting the 4K port one was the only one effected. it seems to be good right now but I am going to test it some more.

Great, thanks for letting me know.

Please do keep me posted if the issue comes back. We can take the next steps from there.

Thanks!

Mitchell

Well that worked for a day until I restarted my computer. Now the 4k port is the only one displaying a extended screen. The right side (HDMI 2k and DVI) is out and it isn’t being seen on the computer. Any ideas? I also noticed I have to launch display link in he finder for it to work as well.

1 Like

Unfortunately, we’ve seen the DisplayLink-powered displays disconnect upon reboot as a result of an update in macOS from mid-January, where our docks may not be correctly detected by Apple’s M1 based computers on restart or when powered on after being turned off.

Until Apple issues an update that resolves this detection issue, we recommend unplugging the docking station from the computer, then reconnecting the host cable after macOS has completed loading.

As for needing to manually launch the app – DisplayLink offers a “Login screen” extension that enables the DisplayLink-powered external screens to be available on the login screen prior to the app loading after logging into your account. To set this up, please follow the instructions under “Other functions of the DisplayLink Manager”:

https://kb.plugable.com/questions/799275

Thanks!

Mitchell

Hi. I’m having a similar issue with new MacBook Pro. I have two ASUS VA24E monitors plugged into the docking station. It doesn’t matter which one is plugged into the HDMI port, the monitor that is plugged into a DisplayPort returns the HDMI no signal.

Docking station and monitors are both using the manufacturer supplied cables. Monitors both worked with my iMac as recently as 2 weeks ago when iMac died and with the HP and docking station I had with my former employer.

I have two different DisplayPort connectors that have worked fine, they were purchased 5 months ago when I purchased the monitors. All worked with this dock upon initial use.

The issues I am having began 4 days ago, 3 days into use.

1. When returning to the computer after everything has been in sleep mode, one monitor will wake up, the second indicated HDMI signal not found until I opened the MacBook Pro.

2. Even though the monitor indicates ‘signal not found’, when using my mouse, I have to scroll from Screen 1 through Screen 2, the one indicating signal not found. I cannot see the mouse for several scrolls across my desk before the mouse reappears on the Macbook Pro screen (right side in my configuration when the Macbook is open).

I didn’t think to capture screen grabs at the time to show that in System Preferences > Display > Arrangement, the MacBook Pro recognizes that there are two monitors connected while the monitor is indicating no signal. Once I unplugged and replugged into same DisplayPort, issue resolved.

1. The issue then escalated to requiring switching the port used. If I used the top port, monitor resumed only when I plugged the monitor into the bottom port. If the bottom port was used, monitor resumed only when plugged into the top port.

2. Approximately 48 hours later, this problem went from only occurring when waking from sleep mode to the DisplayPort screen randomly crapping out in the middle of use. Kind of difficult to save my work when the primary died and I couldn’t get to my menu. Opened Macbook Pro, unplugged everything, peripherals and all, then plugged back in. Went from 1 or 2 times a day to 5-6 times a day. Each time eats a half hour of time. Also tried restart to resolve issue. This didn’t fix the problem consistently.

3. Another interesting thing that now happens. These monitors go from orange (sleep) to blue (on). I’ve become accustomed to just pushing the power button to reactivate from sleep mode, as this has been the case with the iMac AND the HP docking station I used with the laptop issued by my previous employer. So for the past five months, these monitors have toggled between sleep or on. I had to hold the power button down for 5 seconds to turn them off.

Now, the second monitor is in sleep, then when I press the power, which now turns it off, then I have to press it a second time to turn it back on.

1. Which brings me to now. Monitor craps out in the middle of use about an hour ago. I run through this whole routine and NOTHING is bringing this second monitor back into use. Unplugged everything from both monitors. These are manufacturer supplied power cords and HDMI cables that are clearly working, because I have swapped out which monitor is plugged into the HDMI port.

I seriously doubt that two HDMI to DisplayPort adapters have died at the same time, especially given the issues that have been occurring with this docking station that has been used FOR LESS THAN A WEEK.

1. Out of curiosity, I brought out my Apple USB-C to Digital AV adaptor I purchased with the MacBook Pro and when plugged into USB-C port of the back of the station, it doesn’t recognize the monitor, either BUT when I unplug everything else, then plug only that USB-C to Digital AV adapter into my Mac, it recognizes whichever monitor is plugged into it.

2. I’m currently in the process of updating to Big Sur 11.2.3, in the hopes that this may have a resolution. I fear that there is something preventing the docking station from using the DisplayLink software. Also going to see if there have been any plugable Firmware updates since I checked Monday night as soon as I post this.

I’m more than mildly peeved that this is purported to be a plug and play solution that is rapidly requiring as much time as it did for me to try to find out why the DisplayLink software wasn’t delivering on the promised second monitor capability when I installed it (15 hours on that before finding that there is a conflict with some machines preventing users from uninstalling an earlier DisplayLink version).

I purchased this product to remove my headaches with multiple display woes with the M1 Macbook Pro, but I’ve got a big one right now. I’m extremely thankful that I am somewhat tech savvy, because anyone who doesn’t do troubleshooting on the regular is probably struggling right now.

This product promises ‘you can use three monitors with your M1 Macbook Pro’ that isn’t happening. Apple tells me it will be 3-4 weeks for a MacMini with the ram and storage I require. I believe them, because it took 6 weeks to get the Macbook Pro configured with those same requirements.

So, beyond the ‘unplug everything for a minute’, try a different Displayport, try a different port (which really isn’t an option, unless you want to send me a hub with two HDMI ports), and updating my software/firmware, what else is there to do about the blank screen that I need to do the job that pays my bills?

As I received my docking station a week ago today, I already have this extension installed, yet I am still having these issues.

And now I notice that NONE of the inputs are working - my mouse isn’t recognized, nor are my headphones. Basically, the only input that is working is the one HDMI plug.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.