Best Hub for a Mac

Does the Plugable USB 2.0 10 port Hun w/pwr work with macs ??

Hi Michael,

Thanks for posting your question here! Yes, the Plugable 10 Port USB 2.0 Hub with 2.5A power adapter like any standard USB 2.0 Hub does work with Mac OS X.

Hope the above information helps! If you need any additional information, please do feel free to shoot us an email at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze

Hi Roze, I posted a separate question on this: I found that it doesn’t work with the Apple ultrathin aluminum keyboard – keep getting error message: “A USB device needs more power”

Hi Ryker,

Thanks for posting your question here! The first thing to check when you get an error message “A USB device needs more power” while using our Plugable 10 Port USB 2.0 Hub with 2.5A power adapter is, if the power adapter is working and powering up the hub or not.

When the hub’s power adapter is not connected or has failed, the hub is capable of running purely from bus power (from the host PC). This takes power from one USB port and shares it with all the devices that are connected. With many devices attached, this will likely not be enough for all attached devices. That could be a possible reason for what you are seeing. So let’s check that first.

Unplug the hub from the system. Make sure that the power adapter is plugged into the hub. Does the blue LED bar light up when the hub is connected to the power adapter but not the system?

The blue LED bar only lights up when the hub is getting powered either from the USB 2.0 port on the upstream system it is plugged into or from the power adapter. So if the blue LED is lit up when the hub is disconnected from the computer system, we can confirm that the power adapter is indeed powering up the hub.

If the blue LED bar lights up when powered by the power adapter,I’d like you to connect the hub to the system and connect the Apple Ultrathin Aluminum keyboard to the hub to see if you still get the same error.

When the hub is plugged in, it reports whether it is self powered (getting power from the power adapter) or bus powered. If you are plugging in the power adapter after it has been plugged into the computer, the operating system has this hub listed as a bus powered hub and hence even though the hub is capable of providing the additional power, the OS keeps giving the over-current error message. Only an unplug/replug of the hub will make the OS re-enumerate it. Which is why you need to disconnect/reconnect the hub after the power adapter is plugged in.

But when the reverse happens, i.e. the power adapter is unplugged from a powered hub, the hub is not able to provide power to the downstream devices and the devices start communicating with the OS to let it know about this fact. So the OS re-enumerates the hub to check if it is still powered and the hub reports back about its unpowered state.

In short, unplugging the power adapter will cause the OS to re-enumerate the hub, but plugging in the power adapter to an unpowered hub will not cause the OS to re-enumerate. So a disconnect/reconnect is required once the power adapter is plugged in.

So please do post back and let us know if the system still gives the same error even when you connect the hub to the system after first ensuring that the hub is being powered by the power adapter (in other works plug in the power adapter first and connect hub to system second).

Regards,
Roze

hi Roze,
Thanks for the information. I’ve been working with Bernie on the issue with this thread http://support.plugable.com/plugable/…