Audio stuttering via 3.5mm

Audio stutters when speakers are connected via 3.5mm jack. Identical to https://support.plugable.com/t/analog-audio-cutting-out/22602/14 (now locked with no official resolution but suggestions to use an extra part and occupy a USB port, which I don’t have one free).

Dell Precision 5760 with Windows 10.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us! I am sorry this is not working as expected.

A few other users have seen similar issues from a wide range of host computers, for the most part these issues reproduce on original and replacement docking stations, however we have been unable to reproduce issues on returned docking stations indicating this issues is likely system-specific, or environmental.

Based on your description of the behavior, our first step is to get some additional information from your system using our log-gathering tool: PlugDebug, when you have a moment:

1. Keep the docking station connected to the computer with the displays and devices connected to the docking station
  2. Download and run our PlugDebug utility ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug )
    2a) Choose the Download link for your operating system and save the PlugDebug executable to your Downloads or Desktop
    2b) For Windows: Right-click on the PlugDebug application and run as administrator
    2c ) For macOS: Select the PlugDebug utility from the Downloads pop-up on the Dock, or double-click if saved to the Desktop
    2d) Follow the on screen instructions to launch the application
  3. Click the “Start” button to begin gathering logs from the system
  4. When completed the application will pop-up a message with the name of the zip file containing the logs on the user desktop directory
  5. Please attach this zip file to your reply email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #408915 - Attention Pat’

This will allow us to examine some log files from your system to check for any out of date drivers or software ( Windows Update often provides out of date drivers which can affect the docking station’s functions ) and help determine the next steps.

Additionally, may I ask the manufacturer name(s) and model(s) of the displays connected to the docking station? A display connected to the docking station’s “Display 1” output port is controlled by the computer’s internal graphics controller via USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode, if this display also has a 3.5mm audio port then it can pass audio directly through from the computer’s graphics controller to the display, bypassing the Windows USB audio driver and USB audio hardware in the docking station. For users with a compatible monitor this has also worked well to resolve some audio issues.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

1 Like

I’ve emailed the logs. The monitors on 1 & 2 (3 is empty) are both HP X32 - connected via DisplayPort. They do have a 3.5mm out and I’m trying that now. I’m still getting some stutters but I’d say fewer than before.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for relying back, please try connecting the speakers to the monitor connected to the docking station’s “Display 1” output port, this port’s audio is controlled by the computer’s built-in graphics controller instead of the DisplayLink audio controller. DisplayLink audio controls the 3.5mm port on the docking station, “Display 2” and “Display 3” output ports.

Connecting to the “Display 1” output you may need to manually select the “HP X32” as the audio output device from the sound settings:

1. Click on the speaker icon in the Windows system tray
  2. To the right of the volume control click on the arrow to select the audio devices from a list
  3. Select the HP X32 display from the list, if you do not see this display, select each entry in turn, and wait for 10-15 seconds for the output to become active before moving to the next entry in the list to find the correct entry for the external display.

Please let me know if you are still experiencing the audio cutting out when connected to the 3.5mm port on the display connected to the docking station’s “Display 1” output port.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

1 Like

I don’t have entries in my audio list for the HP monitors. I can get the audio to work in this setup by selecting Pluggable Audio, but I suspect that might not be sufficient. I’ll go look for HP Drivers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.