Applications Do Not Refresh Properly

I use an HP Pavilion with 3 UGA-3000 adapters running Windows 10 (pre-Creator’s Update). I frequently have issues with various applications/windows properly refreshing.

An example would be opening a Windows Folder Directory, then switching to a new directory. All the folder icons appear, but the area where the names should display is white until I mouse over the area for the names.

I experience similar issues in web browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox), RDP sessions, etc. Pretty much every application I have installed on my PC.

I’ve attached an image that demonstrates an example of what I’ve been experiencing. You can see that the window did not refresh properly and is still showing options from the previous menu I was in. Then I switched menus and instead of repainting the area and only showing the new menu options, it displayed the new menu options as an overlay on the previous menu options.

I’ve verified that none of this occurs if the displays are directly connected to the video output on my laptop. !](](

Hi Patrick, thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of this behavior and I will be happy to help.

Thanks for the description of the behavior you are seeing. In our experience, some screen refresh issues have been resolved once updating Windows 10 to the Creators update (and making sure the DisplayLink drivers are up to date) but I would be happy to investigate to see what can be done without updating to the Creators Update.

As a first step we will want to reinstall the DisplayLink driver and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool to make sure that the software is in a good state. To do so, please follow these steps:

  1. Disconnect the adapters from your system. Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here –>… and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it ->
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.2 M1 DisplayLink software, found here –>…
  6. Reconnect one of the adapters to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation. Then connect the remaining adapters and test

If these steps help, great! If not, we will want to examine some log files from your system to help determine what could be happening. To help us do so please download and run our diagnostic utility PlugDebug –> just after the behavior has occurred and you have restarted so we can try and capture the behavior. Please send us the log file that is created directly on your Desktop by attaching it to an email to our direct support email address at with ‘Ticket Number 185260’ in the subject line so we can match things up. We’ll examine the logs and go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies

I went ahead and ran the Creator’s update and the problem seems to have resolved itself. Thanks for the tip!