Apple with Base M3 microprocessor - multiple displays?

I didn’t realize that the MacBook Pro that I just bought with base M3 microprocessor does not support additional monitors. Would a Pluggable doc solve this dilemma?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I would be happy to provide additional information regarding our docking stations.

You are correct, base M3 Macs are only able to support a single display through a Thunderbolt connection due to M3 technical limitations, and this impacts all Thunderbolt 3/4 docking stations (Plugable-branded or otherwise).

Therefore, if you’re looking to drive more than one display, you will need to consider a USB graphics solution such as DisplayLink. (example docks: UD-3900Z, UD-6950PDH)

In a nutshell, DisplayLink USB graphics works around the native limitation of the M3 chip by converting video data into USB data. However, there is additional software overhead that results from this.

Therefore, while DisplayLink USB graphics is great for general office or productivity tasks, we don’t recommend DisplayLink for more graphics intensive tasks such as gaming. If optimal performance is a concern, then I’m afraid you would not want to consider DisplayLink solutions.

Hopefully this information was helpful, but please feel free to reach out if you have any follow-up questions or concerns.

Thank you!

Ryoma
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.