Apple Watch does not unlock

I am using a UD-ULTCDL with an Apple MacBook Air M2 running 13.5.1 (22G90).

Whenever the laptop sleeps and I want to unlock it, there is a message saying that it cannot be unlocked by Apple Watch while screen sharing. However, I have the setting “Apple Watch unlock” checked. It seems to not be working. Any solutions?

Both my iPhone 13 iOS and Apple Watch series 2 OS are up-to-date.

Thank-you!

Hi Joel,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I’m sorry Apple Watch unlock isn’t working as expected when using the UD-ULTCDL, and I’ll be happy to help.

UD-ULTCDL is a DisplayLink-based docking station which connects the displays in its HDMI 2 and HDMI 3 ports using DIsplayLink technology. These are essentially “virtual” displays where software is used to emulate graphics hardware. This appears to the operating system as “screen sharing” or “screen recording”, when in reality it’s just generating video to show on the displays.

With that said, there should be a way to enable Apple Watch unlock when the UD-ULTCDL is connected. In order to use Apple Watch unlock with a DisplayLink-based dock connected, there is a prerequisite that Apple Watch unlock must work when the DisplayLink-based dock (in this case UD-ULTCDL) is not connected to the MacBook Pro. This is because Apple Watch unlock needs to be properly set up before it can work with the dock connected.

If Apple Watch unlock is already working without the dock connected then you’re ready to move onto the next step. Apple Watch unlock will need to be enabled within the DisplayLink Manager for it to work with the DisplayLink dock connected. To enable this, click on the DisplayLink Manager icon in the macOS menu bar after the computer has been unlocked (it looks like two interlocked rectangles). Within the DisplayLink Manager, check the box for “Use Apple Watch to unlock on login screen”.

Please let me know how these steps work out, and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Thank you for giving us the chance to assist!

Sam
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.