anything special needed for >2TB drive on usb3-sata-u3?

Hi,
Recently I purchased a 4tb seagate and try to use the plugable USB3-SATA-U3 to backup some old data over. I initialized the disk in windows as gpt but after copying stuff over and plug into the motherboard’s sata port, the drive is not recognized and window ask me to initialize it again. I did it a 2nd time and it’s the same. Finally I plug the drive directly into a spare sata port and backup my old data over. After that I unplug my old 3tb drive and plug into the plugable and windows again ask me to initialize the disk. When I move the drive into a old usb2.0 enclosure I’d, it recognize my old 3tb drive fine.

Why is there issue with moving the new drive and recognizing my old 3tb drive in the plugable? I’d use some other drives on this plugable and it seems to work fine (though they are <2TB size before I think).

Hi Frank-

Thanks for posting with your question, I’ll be happy to help!

Applying firmware update 13022081f602 for the USB3-SATA-U3 should allow you to switch drives initialized in the dock to other SATA controllers like the one on your motherboard or those in other docks.

http://plugable.com/2013/03/05/usb3-s…

The link above has instructions to apply the update, and a link to download it from- however please let me know of any questions you run into with the update process.

Best wishes-

Jeff Everett
Plugable Technologies