An external keyboard and mouse connect better directly to the laptop than through the plugable dock. Why?

I recently upgraded laptops from a Lenovo with Lenovo dock to a Dell Inspiron 13 and bought a Plugable UD 3900 dock. My dock is doing great running two external monitors, handling the hardwired ethernet and external audio. One item is causing issue - external keyboard and mice.

In the Lenovo setup I used the usb wireless dongle plugged into the dock and the keyboard and mouse were great. With the Inspiron/Plugable setup if I plug any wireless mouse (have tried multiple) into the laptop they work perfectly. Same for the keyboard.

When plugged into the dock any of these devices experiences a lag that his horrible. I’m not talking from a gamer perspective, I’m talking from just using them at all perspective. Hopefully this is a problem you have seen and there’s a fix.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting! Sorry to hear of the lag when using your wireless keyboard and mouse with our dock and I will be happy to help!

Thank you for the description of the behavior you are seeing. Based off of this, usually the laggy behavior you’re describing is the result of wireless interference with the USB 3.0 ports (as wireless mice and keyboards use the same 2.4GHz frequency range that’s also used by USB 3.0, WiFi adapters, cordless phones, etc). If you haven’t already done so, can you please try plugging the wireless receiver dongle into one of the rear, top-most USB 2.0 ports of the dock and see if the behavior improves? The goal is to move the wireless receiver as far away from the USB 3.0 controller in our dock.

Intel has published an article speaking to this behavior here –> http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/… if interested.

Please let us know if moving the wireless receiver help change the behavior and we’ll go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support